Melody




ISBN-13: 978-0330442329
Publisher: PAN BOOKS (2006)
128 pp



I cannot remember when I was first introduced to Matthew Reilly's books (perhaps two or three years ago), but I can remember very well it was my coworker who has recommended Ice Station to me, which features the brave US Marine Lt. Shane "Scarecrow" Schofield and his dynamic team. From then onwards, I am hooked to his books.

Shane "Scarecrow" Schofield continues his thrilling adventure in Hell Island which I am sure fans of the US Marine hero will be glad of his return in this story. This book can also read as a stand-alone since it is a short story.

Schofield is both curious and surprise to find his team, along with three other specialized units (i.e. Delta Force, Navy Seals etc) are sent on a top secret mission together which they are to land in a remote island - Hell Island, to carry out their special assignment. The thing about Hell Island is, it doesn't appear on the maps and due to its secret location, military experiments are conducted here for the confidentiality.

However, something has gone terribly wrong and the crew of the US Nimitz have disappeared mysteriously from this island and this is where Schofield's team and three other specialized units comes in.

Matthew Reilly has penned a fast pace and exciting adventure in Hell Island. I had a great time reading Ice Station and needless to say, I was delighted to see Schofield's appearance in this book. Unfortunately, I find there are too many things happening at such a short time and that the idea is a little too far-fetched from reality (I can only elaborate that much as I do not wish to spoil the story) . Then again, this is a short story so I can understand the endless action-packed scenes at such a limited time. I am sure this story will do better (with more well-developed characters) in novel length just like his other books are.
6 Responses
  1. Thank you for the great review, Melody. It does sound like a busy book but an exciting adventure just the same.


  2. Melody Says:

    I've to admit I was quite disappointed with this book, Wendy, but I'm hoping his next book will be better!


  3. Alice Says:

    Hi Melody, I still one book by Reilly in my TBR. I will read Temple when the mood strikes. :D


  4. Melody Says:

    Alice, I'm hoping you'll enjoy reading Temple, although my favourite is still Ice Station. ;)


  5. Jane Says:

    I have never read anything by this author but it does sound exciting. Thanks for the review!


  6. Melody Says:

    Jaimie, his books are very fast paced and exciting! Filled with non-stop action scenes too... I'd highly recommend his books if you're into this genre! ;)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.