Melody

Musing Mondays

How often do you recommend books to others, and who do you recommend them to? Do you only recommend books to your “reading friends” or to anyone you think might find the book interesting? What does it take for a book to make it to your ‘recommendation’ list?


I love recommend books to anyone. One would thought most of my friends must be booklovers too since I am one, but they are not. At least they do not read as much as I do. Ever since I started blogging, I get recommendations from other bookbloggers by reading their blogs and vice versa. Slowly I get acquainted with some of them and knew their reading preferences, thus I will recommend books to them according to their preferences. However, there are times that I do recommend books that are not their usual reads but I know they might be interested because of the intrigue plots, a certain subject matter or any other things that would spark their interest. Books that make it to my recommendation list are those that I liked and would linger in my mind after I have finished reading.

How about you?

10 Responses
  1. Alice Says:

    Hi Melody! I love recommending books to others too, especially when they ask. Now, some of my colleagues have been bitten by the reading bug and they've asked me for recommendations. I'm sooo happy!

    I recommended and lent the entire Anne Stuart's Ice Series books to a colleague. She loved the first book. Then to a friend who's into self-development, I lent him my copy of GOALS! by Brian Tracy.

    I love receiving recommendations, too, and all of you, my dear blog buddies, are wonderful with this. My piggy bank is groaning...


  2. Anonymous Says:

    I do recommend but a few think I am nuts! Let them!


    Musing Mondays Dec 29/2008

    Kill word Verification


  3. I like recommending books to others too, Melody. People at work often come to me for recommendations know because they know I'm "in the know" about all the latest books. Well, some of them anyway. Haha!


  4. Melody Says:

    Alice - I'm always very thrilled whenever I managed to coax/influence my friends/colleagues into reading! I feel I've done something great, LOL! My piggy bank is groaning too...but I'm sure we aren't complaining! ;)

    Gautami - Some of my friends do not understand about my love for reading too... to each his own anyway. ;)

    Wendy - How I wish my colleagues are booklovers too so we can talk about books during lunch hours! ;)


  5. Ana S. Says:

    I love recommending books too. As you no doubt know I do it all the time online, but in my everyday life I've kind of stop doing it spontaneously, because sometimes people take it badly. Doesn't make much sense, I know :P There's a lot I could say about how reading is socially perceived in my country, but I'll spare you the rant :P


  6. Beth F Says:

    I recommend books all the time too. And I sometimes leave recommendations in blog comments!


  7. Anonymous Says:

    I don't get to recommend books that often aside from my blog.


  8. Anonymous Says:

    I pretty much only recommend books on my blog and then it's more of a "this is what I'm reading and why I like it" type of thing as opposed to a "this is great, you should read it too" recommendation. Other than that I try to recommend stuff for my son, but it's hit or miss whether or not he'll actually like it.


  9. The Bookworm Says:

    I love recommending books :)
    online and offline too.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  10. Melody Says:

    Nymeth - I love your books recommendations so keep them coming! :D I don't talk much about books with my friends since they don't read, but occasionally they do ask me for some books recommendations as gifts to other people and I'm always more than happy to help in this case! ;)

    Beth - I think it's great too to leave recommendations in blog comments!

    Bluestocking - I understand your feelings! ;)

    Ruthie - I'm like you too! And I think it's great to get our children to read. I always feel it's best to cultivate this good habit from young! :)

    Naida - I hear you! :D


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.