Melody
I have not been to the cinema for a while. I think the last movie I watched with my husband is Iron Man. It was his idea, but overall I enjoyed it. I find the storyline and the effects were pretty good.

Anyway, I watched The Black Swindler in DVD two days ago and thought it was very entertaining. I was attracted by the cover and it says this is the movie adaptation of the bestselling manga "Kurosagi". I love reading manga, but I do not recall seeing this one on shelves so I decided to read buy it.

This story is basically about swindlers; or to be precise, a swindler who cheats other swindlers. During the introduction of this movie, it says there are three kinds of swindlers in the world. The White Swindler preys on anyone to steal their money, the Red Swindler make use of others' emotions to cheat their money, and then there is the Black Swindler who targets only the swindlers and he is believed to be the worst amongst all.

Takashi Kurosaki (played by Yamashita Tomohisa) belongs to the latter. He is the only survivor left amongst his family as all were perished by a scam artist. He vows for revenge and grown up to be a professional swindler known as 'Kurosagi', who swindles other con artists. He works with Katsuragi Toshio, who is known as the master of all swindlers and buys information from him. Ironically, Katsuragi is linked to the death of Kurosagi's family and Kurosagi began to learn and improvises his methods on preying other swindlers. But his main target is Ishigaki, who uses corporate seals as gifts to companies and has led them losing money by sending out contracts bearing the seal.

Sakura, a woman who had fallen into Katsuragi's trap years ago ever told Kurosagi not to be too emotionally involved with Katsuragi. Unlike Kurosagi, she has chosen to forget and move on. But Kurosagi is having mixed feelings. He did not know whether or not to trust Katsuragi entirely, but yet he is the one who is closest to him. The movie reaches its climax when Katsuragi has imposed a charge far higher than anything Kurosagi has ever paid, and also there are some exchanges between Kurosagi and Ishigaki that set my pulse racing. Will Kurosagi get his revenge in the end? Will he also get out from swindling forever? I am sure these are the questions that most viewers would like to know but I am not going to ruin the fun by saying it. All I can say is, I enjoyed it and I find Tomohisa Yamashita quite attractive, which is a bonus to the movie.

11 Responses
  1. Julia Says:

    sound like a entertaing movie, Melody. Although I don't read Manga like I used to anymore. But I may give this movie a go :)

    By the way I finally got your card and the book, thanks so much! It came on the same day that I got card from Alice..LOL ! I will post about it tomorrow. Thanks again!

    HUGS!


  2. You know, I've never read Manga. I should probably try it sometime! And this definitely sounds like something both my husband and I can enjoy, so I'll have to look for it! Thanks for the review.


  3. Melody Says:

    Julia - Oh that's great! I can't believe you're already received them! I thought it'd take some time, but anyway I'm so happy that you've received it! :)

    Trish - One thing I love about manga is because it's easier to read with those illustrations, hehe.

    Oh, I forgot to mention that I watched this in Japanese with Chinese subtitles. I'm not sure if they've English subtitles as well but I thought it's better to check if you're interested to watch it.


  4. Ladytink_534 Says:

    Well that's certainly different! Hubby might like this one.


  5. Ana S. Says:

    Glad you enjoyed it, Melody! It sounds like a very engrossing story. I plan on beginning to discover Manga with Rhinoa's challenge, so it's great to find recommendations.


  6. Melody Says:

    Jen - I'm hoping you and your husband will enjoy this if you do get it. :)

    Nymeth - I enjoyed it! I wish I've read the manga first before watching this movie. I can't wait to hear what you'll be reading for Rhinoa's Manga Challenge. It'd be exciting, I'm sure. :)


  7. Iliana Says:

    I've not heard of this movie but it sounds like a good action flick. It's been forever since I've been to the movies too.

    By the way, I noticed that you are doing the Magna challenge - yay. I hope you'll recommend some books Melody. I would like to try the challenge but am clueless when it comes to magna.


  8. The Bookworm Says:

    I hadnt heard of this movie before, it does sound good.
    I have never read manga.

    I just watched 'Australia' last night, i'll be reviewing that one soon :)
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  9. Melody Says:

    Iliana - This is a good action flick IMO. So intense! As for the Manga Challenge, most of my manga is in Chinese but they're all translated from Japanese. I hope some of these titles can be found in the English version.

    Naida - Oh, you should try reading manga! It's easy reading and so fun! :) I can't wait to read your review on Australia soon!


  10. Alice Says:

    YAY a recommendation for the manga challenge by Rhinoa I'm participating in. Thanks, Melody!

    Having zero experience with manga, any help is appreciated. hehee...


  11. Melody Says:

    Alice - My pleasure, Alice! I'm hoping you'll enjoy this one if you get to it. :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.