Melody
ISBN-13: 9780545128285
Publisher: Scholastic Inc.
Published: December 2008
111 pgs


From the backcover:

The Tales of Beedle the Bard, a Wizarding classic, first came to Muggle readers’ attention in the book known as Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Now, thanks to Hermione Granger’s new translation from the ancient runes, we present this stunning edition with an introduction, notes, and illustrations by J. K. Rowling, and extensive commentary by Albus Dumbledore. Never before have Muggles been privy to these richly imaginative tales: “The Wizard and the Hopping Pot,” “The Fountain of Fair Fortune,” “The Warlock’s Hairy Heart,” “Babbitty Rabbitty and Her Cackling Stump,” and of course, “The Tale of the Three Brothers.” But not only are they the equal of fairy tales we now know and love, reading them gives new insight into the world of Harry Potter.


This is a must-have book for Harry Potter fans. On the other hand, anyone may read this book as it is a stand-alone from other Harry Potter series. This book consists of a collection of five imaginative wizarding tales, accompanied by some illustrations done by J.K. Rowling herself. The readers also get to read the wise Professor Albus Dumbledore's insightful thoughts through the commentary at the end of each story, including a few explanations of his own. Some of them give us a glimpse of his humorous side, which I think is fitting to his personality.

Each tale is a delightful read. What I find most meaningful about this book is, there is a moral/lesson to be learned behind every story.

The Wizard and The Hopping Pot is a tale about compassion, and how a young wizard overcome his arrogance and selfishness by a magical pot his dead father has left behind. The Fountain of Fair Fortune is about three witches and a knight who find themselves battling their way towards the magical fountain which is believed will bring fortune to one fortunate person between the hours of sunrise and sunset on the longest day once in a year. It is a wonderful tale of sharing and determination.

The Warlock's Hairy Heart is a dark tale focuses on love when a young warlock decided to lock his heart after seeing his friends became foolish after they have fallen in love but things are not the same again after he has changed his mind and unlock his heart. Babbitty Rabbitty and Her Cackling Stump and The Tale of the Three Brothers focus issues such as wits and that death is inevitable.

J.K. Rowling has weaved another winner in this short stories collection. I enjoyed the five wonderful tales in this book; each one is unique and so meaningful. I have to say The Fountain of Fair Fortune and The Tale of the Three Brothers are my favourites among all. The only thing I find disappointing is, the five tales are too short and I hope there are more tales collected in this book. Nevertheless, reading this book has made me want to continue reading Harry Potter series again. I am looking forward to reading Book 3 - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban in the near future (although I had watched all the movies to-date).


Note: Buy this book as a support to the Children's High Level Group (CHLG). From every sale of this book, Scholastic will give is net proceeds to the CHLG, a charity cofounded in 2005 by J.K. Rowling and Baroness Nicholson of Winterbourne, MEP.


Other blogs reviews:
Dolce Bellezza
In Spring it is the Dawn
Hello, My Name is Alice
Out of the Blue
Stella Matutina
Things Mean A Lot
5-Squared
(Let me know if I have missed your review.)

14 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    Looks like everyone is reading this. but I haven't read a single Harry Potter book, although I have watched all the movies. Either I'll have to wait for all the movies to release or read the rest of the books. Or just read this book anyway.


  2. Alessandra Says:

    Thank you for linking to my review!


  3. Ana S. Says:

    I'm glad you enjoyed it so much, Melody! I love the fact that it works well as a standalone while still being extra meaningful for fans of the series.


  4. Darlene Says:

    I'm getting this for Christmas-I'm pretty sure anyway. lol.


  5. Super Review. I may put this on my Christmas list. I got turned onto the Harry Potter books when I worked for Barnes and Nobles. At first I was concerned because they were for children but they were so good it didn't matter. I also love the way they became more grown up as the series developed until with the final it can barely be called a childrens book anymore. I just reviewed "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" in Seattlerainydaybookblog.blogspot.com in case anybody is interested.


  6. Ladytink_534 Says:

    I started to pick up a copy from the library but hubby promised to get it for me for my birthday instead!


  7. Alice Says:

    Great review, Melody! I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. I will re-read this when I finished the HP series. :D


  8. Melody Says:

    Violet - I'd say read the books first! ;)

    Alessandra - You're welcome! I think your review is great! :)

    Nymeth - Exactly my thoughts! I wouldn't have jumped into this book quickly if this is a continuation of the series, hehe.

    Dar - Yay! Christimas is coming soon! I hope you'll enjoy the book!

    Jenifer - Thank you! Frankly speaking, I wasn't that keen to get this series initially when it was first released but after watching the movies changed my mind! I'm glad I picked them up in the end! I'll check out your blog in a moment, thanks! :)

    Jen - That's great! Your birthday is coming soon! :D Me too, hehe.

    Alice - Thanks! I'm hoping I'd get to the rest of the series soon, but alas there're so many books waiting for me too! I'm in a dilemma, LOL.


  9. The Bookworm Says:

    wow melody, this sounds great. I keep hearing good things about it. I hope to read it soon.
    great review :)
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  10. Melody Says:

    Naida, it is GREAT! :) I'm hoping you'll read it soon.


  11. Amanda Says:

    This was such a fun book. I love Harry Potter! I'm with you on the Fountain of Fair Fortune and the Tale of the Three Brothers being the best two in there.


  12. Melody Says:

    Thanks for visiting, Amanda! :)
    I agree this is a fun book. I'm hoping J.K. Rowling will have a new series out soon!


  13. I am really looking forward to reading this one. :-)


  14. Melody Says:

    I'm hoping you'll enjoy this book as much as I do, Wendy! :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.