Melody















ISBN-13: 9789861031446
Publisher: 东立出版社有限公司
Published: April 2009


I must have bitten by a manga bug lately, because this is the third manga book I read in a week (I had finished reading Momoko Typhoon #2 but have yet to draft a review). Anyway, I found this series while browsing through the manga section and I was attracted by the cover art and the blurb. I took the risk and bought the series because I have not read anything by this artist (and the books are sealed with plastic covers to prevent anyone from reading). There were times I was misled by the cover illustrations but funnily enough I just had the feeling that I might enjoy this series and my instinct was right because I really enjoyed reading this book!

Ren Cai Zi (the names are translated from the Chinese since I do not know the actual Japanese names of all the characters) is a high school student and has never fallen in love before though childhood friend, Da Shu fancies her but she does not know his feelings towards her.

However, an incident gave her the opportunity to meet Lian, the most good-looking and popular boy in school. What he did thereafter greatly touches her heart and from that day onwards, she knew she has fallen in love with him. When Da Shu has finally muster his courage to confess his feelings towards her, Ren Cai Zi told him she could not accept his love because she has fallen in love with somebody. Even when she later found out that Lian already has a girlfriend, her feelings towards him did not waver and she told herself that she is satisfied admiring him from afar and that they are friends.

A girl friend of Ren Cai Zi, Xiao Bai He took this opportunity to confess her love towards Da Shu and a complex love story begins this first installment of Strobe Edge.

What can I say? I was so drawn into the story (not to mention the wonderful illustrations as well) that I picked up the second installment and read it right after I had finished reading this book. I am currently reading the fourth installment and I have to say the story is getting more complex and intense than I have first anticipated. Needless to say, I have neglected the other books which I am also reading and this made me feel bad. To break free of my guilty conscience, I brought a novel instead of the manga with me to work today so hopefully I will be able to catch up on my reading and read a few more chapters.

So what are you currently reading?

Note: There is no Teaser Tuesdays post today since I am still reading the same book as of last week.

10 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    I just had to say hi to your poppet...I have the same one. I love the reading poppets!


  2. Alice Says:

    Thanks to Rhinoa's Manga Challenge, I've developed a new love for manga and finished all 6 last week. Hmmm... Haha!


  3. Anonymous Says:

    I love Mangas! So you're Chinese?
    That relationship really is complicated and it sounds interesting to me. I'll try to find it online.


  4. Melody Says:

    Jill - I love these poppets! I'm trying not to visit Lisa's online store too much because every time I go there, she has some new items up! :P

    Alice - Glad to hear you've developed a new love for manga! :)

    Cutlex - Yes, I'm a Chinese.

    I hope you'll find this series in English and that you'll enjoy reading them when you get to them.


  5. Ladytink_534 Says:

    I think I've seen a translated version of this online somewhere. Glad you're reading good stuff! Cute poppet :)


  6. Veens Says:

    That poppet is CUTE melody! I love it :)

    And wow, this is something. I am glad you found Manga interesting and you have made me think about getting myself one of these! The story sounds good too!

    Great review :)


  7. I haven't yet read any Manga. One of these days though, I will. I am sure my husband has something around here I wouldn't mind trying. :-) This series sounds good, Melody, and I am glad to hear you are enjoying it.


  8. The Bookworm Says:

    cuuuute poppet!
    I havent read Manga, but youre making it sound good :)
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  9. Hiiii!!!
    Where did u buy 闪烁的爱情 comic book???
    I love this comic.. and i couldn't get to find the chinese version.. have been reading the english translation on mangafox. =)


  10. Melody Says:

    Hi Sandy!
    I love this comic too! I bought them at Kinokuniya Bookstore in Singapore. :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.