Melody




ISBN-13: 9780316160209
Publisher: Little, Brown & Company
Published: August 2007
Twilight Saga Series, #3
629pp



First sentence: All our attempts at Subterfuge had been in vain.


Bella has her heart set for her graduation at high school, but that also means she will enter into the immortal world but yet she is torn of hurting Jacob's feelings. She worries about the consequences it will bring after being a vampire. Moreover, it hurts her too much to sever her ties with the werewolf clan, for she knew the vampires and werewolves are never friends to begin with. Then again, somewhere deep in her heart, she is not sure if she is ready to be Edward's bride, although she wants to be with him physically.

Then something happened that freezes the Cullen's family. When they heard of a series of homicides committed in Seattle, they suspected something more dangerous and more sinister on the loose than an ordinary serial killer as speculated. It happened that Victoria is still seething over the death of her vampiric lover and she vowed to seek revenge from the Cullen's family. Thus, a new breed of newborn vampires are created and now they are moving on from Seattle to Forks to get their hands on Bella, knowing her connection with the Cullen's family.

Not willing to alarm The Volturi, the Cullens' have no choice but to seek a truce with the werewolves clan, though it annoys Edward since this also means Jacob will gain more chances of seeing Bella now that she needs extra protection from the newborn vampires.

The strain between vampire Edward Cullen and werewolf Jacob Black continues in this third instalment, as both of them are vying for Bella Swan's attention, a mortal girl whom they fell in love with. Bella is still in a dilemma; though she loves Edward, she does not want to loose Jacob as a best friend either. She shows her vulnerable side and appears to be more pessimistic as compared to before. Unlike the previous instalments, I find this leans more towards the emotional part than the real actions.

The scene about how the werewolves and the legend comes about is an interesting read. I also liked the idea of the vampires and werewolves working together to protect Bella, though at times her negative thoughts annoys me. The ending with Jacob's POV is intriguing, so I cannot wait to devour Breaking Dawn next.


Other bloggers' reviews:
Becky's Book Reviews
Book Binge
Hello, My Name Is Alice
Reading Adventures
Rhinoa's Ramblings
Stephanie's Written Word
Where Troubles Melt Like Lemon Drops

10 Responses
  1. Alice Says:

    Hi Melody, great review! I agree with you that this instalment leans more on emotional part. Thanks for including my review link too. You're a star. :)


  2. Melody Says:

    Thanks, Alice! :) I'm wondering if you've received your copy of the final instalment yet?


  3. Julia Says:

    Hey Melody, great review! I wish I could enjoy reading this book with you, but it just not my cup of tea. Of course you already knew that :)


  4. Melody Says:

    Thank you, Julia! You know, I'm still hoping that you'd change your mind and read this series some day soon! ;P


  5. Anonymous Says:

    I'm glad you enjoyed it and hope you like Breaking Dawn too. To be honest this was my least favourite in the series, but there were still some bits I enjoyed.


  6. Melody Says:

    Rhinoa - Of all the three instalments so far, Twilight remains my favourite. I'm hoping Breaking Dawn will not disappoint, we shall see... ;)


  7. Marg Says:

    Julia, you should at least give this series go. The first book in particular is awesome!

    I am still waiting for Breaking Dawn from the library, but I am looking forward to reading it.


  8. mariel Says:

    Glad you enjoyed this one. I'm reading Breaking Dawn at the moment and certainly interesting! Thanks for the link. Go get the next one!


  9. Iliana Says:

    Oh Melody, Bella really got on my nerves in this book too. I was pretty disappointed with this one. So disappointed that I thought I wouldn't read the new one but as now I've heard so many things about it (a lot of positive mixed with the neg) I will just have to check it out!


  10. Melody Says:

    Marg - I'm hoping you'll get your copy from the library soon! ;)

    Mariel - I'm currently reading the final instalment! I can't wait to find out what happened!

    Iliana - I know, this instalment seems a little lacking as compared to her previous ones. I'm hoping the final book will not be a great disappointment!!


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.