Melody

btt,btt

You, um, may have noticed that the Olympics are going on right now, so that’s the genesis of this week’s question, in two parts:

First:

  • Do you or have you ever read books about the Olympics? About sports in general?
  • Fictional ones? Or non-fiction? Or both?

And, Second:

  • Do you consider yourself a sports fan?
  • Because, of course, if you’re a rabid fan and read about sports constantly, there’s a logic there; if you hate sports and never read anything sports-related, that, too … but you don’t have to love sports to enjoy a good sports story.
  • (Or a good sports movie, for that matter. Feel free to expand this into a discussion about “Friday Night Lights” or “The Natural” or whatever…)

(For the record, I am not a sports fan at all, but I’ll watch almost any Olympics event, have indeed read books about the Olympics–and strongly recommend The Second Mark, which yes, is about Figure Skating, but was a fantastic story and particularly enthralling in its view into life as an athlete in China, so no sneering at the sport, okay? The book was fascinating. I’ve also read a history of the 1896 Olympics (there’s also a good mini-series which just came out on DVD).

I am not really a sports fan, although I enjoy watching the Olympics (especially the gymnastics and the swimming events). And I do not think I have read any books which are sports related, unless you are talking about the characters who have an interest in sports (but the stories focused on other things rather than the sports itself).

So, are you a sports fan and have you read any sports related books?

12 Responses
  1. Lynda Says:

    I like the winter olympics and rugby, but don't read books about sports apart from the odd one about Welsh rugby ;0)


  2. I like reading biographies about hockey players, but that's about it for me.


  3. SmilingSally Says:

    My answer is a bit complex. Please pay me a visit so I won't have to repeat.


  4. Anonymous Says:

    Like you, the only sports in my reading is being done by the characters and not the main focus of the book.


  5. Anonymous Says:

    Swimming and gymnastics are my favorites also...those athletes are just amazing! The only time I read about sports, though, is when they come up peripherally in something I'm reading that really has nothing to do with sports in a substantial way. It's just not my thing.


  6. Debbie Says:

    My answer is complex too! and I also, just like Smiling Sal, feel as if I keep repeating myself.
    But I guess I like the sports books more than I realized.


  7. Melody Says:

    Holistic Knitter - I wish I can read some books on sports, but I think I'd prefer to watch them. ;)

    Joanne - I don't think I've read any biography on the sportsmen/women. I think it'd be interesting to know more about their life.

    Smilingsal, Debbie - I'll visit your blog after I've replied to this post. Thanks! :)

    Koolaidmom - Those characters can be quite fun to read, isn't it?

    Readerville - I guess reading and watching them are two different things. ;)


  8. Jeane Says:

    Not a sports fan. Don't read much about them either- although my husband wishes I would!


  9. Melody Says:

    Jeane - LOL. I'm glad my husband isn't much of a sports fan like myself. I've heard from some girlfriends that their hubs are glued to their TVs whenever the soccer heat is on.


  10. Julia Says:

    I like to watch sports, only if it the one am interested to watch. But I don't make my way to see it every single time it on.

    I would read fiction sports but not the biography. But only if it contemporary romance sport where characters aren't just only play the games but invovled in relationship and then get their HEA at the end. Most series books are like that. It very light romance. You don't focus on their playing games through out the whole books.


  11. Anonymous Says:

    I am another gymnastics/swimming fan. Then again, maybe it is because they are the easiest to understand...


  12. Melody Says:

    Julia - I don't watch all the sports events either! There're way too many! ;P I think biographies are interesting, but since I'm not a sports fan, I don't really read them.

    Aria - I agree; besides that I admire the gymnastics participants because they're always so graceful when performing those difficult 'stunts'!


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.