Melody

Friday Finds

It is no wonder I cannot catch up on my reading pile because with all the recommendations from fellow book blogger friends and the unresistable visits to the bookstores (never mind if they are online or any other physical bookstores), I will always end up bringing home several books (and not to mention burning a big hole in my purse).

Here are my latest finds:

  • The Orange Girl by Jostein Gaarder
    (Synopsis: At fifteen, Georg comes upon a letter written to him by his dying father, to be read when he comes of age. Their two voices make a fascinating dialogue as Georg comes to know the father he can barely remember, then is challenged by him to answer some profound questions. The central mystery of The Orange Girl is the story of an elusive young woman for whom Georg's father searches in Oslo and Seville--and whom Georg finally realizes is his mother. A thought-provoking fairy-tale romance imbued with the sense of awe and wonder that is Jostein Gaarder's hallmark.)

  • Out Backward by Ross Raisin
    (Synopsis: Sam Marsdyke is a lonely young man, dogged by an incident in his past and forced to work his family farm instead of attending school in his Yorkshire village. He methodically fills his life with daily routines and adheres to strict boundaries that keep him at a remove from the townspeople. But one day he spies Josephine, his new neighbor from London. From that moment on, Sam's carefully constructed protections begin to crumble—and what starts off as a harmless friendship between an isolated loner and a defiant teenage girl takes a most disturbing turn.)
  • Love and Biology at the Center of the Universe by Jennie Shortridge
    (Synopsis: When she learns that her college sweetheart husband has been seeing another woman, Mira Serafino's perfect world is shattered and she wants no one, least of all her big Italian family, to know. She heads north—with no destination and little money— stopping only when her car breaks down in Seattle. She takes a job at the offbeat Coffee Shop at the Center of the Universe, where she'll experience a terrifying but invigorating freedom, and meet someone she'll come to love: the new Mira.)

  • What Was Lost by Catherine O'Flynn
    (Synopsis: A lost little girl with a notebook and toy monkey appears on the CCTV screen of the Green Oaks shopping centre, evoking memories of junior detective, Kate Meaney, missing for twenty years. Kurt, a security guard with a sleep disorder and Lisa, a disenchanted deputy manager at Your Music, together become entranced by the little girl they keep glimpsing on the security cameras. As Kurt and Lisa’s after-hours friendship grows in intensity, it brings new loss and new longing to light.)

  • The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson
    (Synopsis: The narrator of The Gargoyle is a very contemporary cynic, physically beautiful and sexually adept, who dwells in the moral vacuum that is modern life. As the book opens, he is driving along a dark road when he is distracted by what seems to be a flight of arrows. He crashes into a ravine and suffers horrible burns over much of his body. As he recovers in a burn ward, undergoing the tortures of the damned, he awaits the day when he can leave the hospital and commit carefully planned suicide—for he is now a monster in appearance as well as in soul.

    A beautiful and compelling, but clearly unhinged, sculptress of gargoyles by the name of Marianne Engel appears at the foot of his bed and insists that they were once lovers in medieval Germany. In her telling, he was a badly injured mercenary and she was a nun and scribe in the famed monastery of Engelthal who nursed him back to health. As she spins their tale in Scheherazade fashion and relates equally mesmerizing stories of deathless love in Japan, Iceland, Italy, and England, he finds himself drawn back to life—and, finally, in love. He is released into Marianne's care and takes up residence in her huge stone house. But all is not well. For one thing, the pull of his past sins becomes ever more powerful as the morphine he is prescribed becomes ever more addictive. For another, Marianne receives word from God that she has only twenty-seven sculptures left to complete—and her time on earth will be finished.)

  • Tumbling Through Time by Gwyn Cready
    (Synopsis: In her sparkling and hilarious debut, author Gwyn Cready introduces Persephone "Seph" Pyle, a total control freak who plans for everything -- until a pair of killer heels sends her back in time and into the arms of a ruggedly handsome sea captain straight from the pages of a romance novel.)



    Labels: edit post
    9 Responses
    1. Debi Says:

      Gee thanks, Melody...now you've gone and made my wish list longer! :)

      I do already have What Was Lost, but haven't read it yet. And I just bought a different book (Sophie's World) by Gaarder that sounds really good.


    2. Iliana Says:

      I'm going to have to post a Friday Finds too because I've added so many new books to my wish list this week. Oh yeah and now reading your list I've added two more! haha...

      I loved Jostein Gaarder's book, Sophie's World, and haven't read anything else by him. This one sounds like it has potential for a good read. And, I've got What Was Lost on my list too!


    3. Ana S. Says:

      The Orange Girl sounds so good! I've read two books by Jostein Gaarder so far (Sophie's World and Vita Brevis) and I really enjoy both.


    4. Melody Says:

      Debi - LOL. Always my pleasure. :D I'm looking forward to reading What Was Lost, the plot sounds intriguing to me.

      Iliana - I can't wait to find out what you bought! I bought Out Backward after you mentioned it on your blog! ;) I haven't read anything by Jostein Gaarder so I'm looking forward to reading The Orange Girl soon! Gee...seems like I've a lot of books to be read on my list! ;P

      Nymeth - I'm glad you enjoy Jostein Gaarder's books. So many readers have said good things about his books so it looks like I've to read his books soon! :)


    5. Alice Says:

      Hi Melody! Great acquisitions. Happy reading! Totally understand how it's like to walk in into a bookstore and coming out with lots of goodies. We just can't seem to avoid that, can we? LOL.

      I have given up (at least for the time being) of posting my latest books for the time being because shipments of them have arrived. Posting them up kinda make me feel guilty for the splurge (yes, and the great hole in the purse). I bought tonnes of non-fiction books lately...


    6. Melody Says:

      Hey Alice! We booklovers just cannot walk out of a bookstore without buying anything, eh?! ;P

      I wish you'll post your latest acquisitions soon as I can't wait to see what you've bought!


    7. Anonymous Says:

      If you get around to reading The Gargoyle I'd be very interested in your thoughts. I've heard such a range of comments on it, that I'm unsure to pick it up or not bother.


    8. Julia Says:

      Not familiar with any of the books, but good luck and happy reading!


    9. Melody Says:

      Bookchronicle - I've heard a lot of great reviews on that book, so I'm really looking forward to reading it.

      Julia - Thanks! Hope you've a great weekend. :)


    Post a Comment

    Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.