Melody

Musing Mondays

This week’s musing asks…

Can you read amidst distractions? (tv, others talking, sporting events, etc)

Well, I have to say it has to depend on the situation. Usually I can read with the TV on (gotta love those commercial breaks!) or some soft music in the background. I have no problem reading during the commute to and from work since it's part of my weekday routine, and I find myself enjoying every moment of it (in fact, most of my reading time is spent during the commute). I also find that if you are totally engrossed in your book, you will be able to block out any background noise unless the distractions are too great to ignore.

That said, I'd still prefer to read in a quiet place with minimal distraction as possible. Sometimes, a book is best read with little distractions so that I am able to do some pondering or daydreaming without anything (or anyone) disturbing my thoughts.

What about you?

12 Responses
  1. Sandy Nawrot Says:

    I'm with you on this one. I can read with things going on around me (if I didn't I would never read) but if I am in the middle of something dense, it is better if I have quiet so I can concentrate.


  2. I have no problem reading with noise around me. Usually my noise of choice is the tv or iTunes. I almost always need some kind of background noise!


  3. Iliana Says:

    I don't think I could read with the tv on but I can definitely read in a cafe or restaurant. I used to read on the bus too when I used public transportation for my commute. I definitely prefer more quiet but well you gotta read when you can right? :)



  4. Ana S. Says:

    It depends for me too. People talking around me doesn't bother me; people trying to talk to ME does :P


  5. Irene Says:

    I'm with Sandy, I'm getting better at reading with distractions, but I still prefer quiet. If it were not the commute I may get very little reading done.


  6. Melody Says:

    Sandy - Don't we wish we have more time for our reading, huh?

    Almybnenr - Funnily I could do well with a little background music but I just couldn't concenrate my reading with earplugs on my ears.

    Iliana - I agree with you! :)

    Guatami - Reading in the midst of storm! It certainly adds atmosphere to our reading isn't it, especially when they are horror. ;)

    Ana - Oh yes, that too, LOL.

    Irene - I'm glad we all share the same thoughts.


  7. Jeane Says:

    For me it depends on what the distraction is. I can read easily on the bus; noise from a tv is different- that precludes heavy reads that require lots of attention and reflection. If it's a light, humorous read I easily read while hubby is watching sports or something.


  8. Darlene Says:

    I'm actually getting quite good at reading with distractions and tuning people out. I still prefer the quiet when I can concentrate because I can get easily distracted.


  9. Julia Says:

    I can read while TV is on to commerical but once my shows back on, all my attention is on TV teehe. But like you I do prefer the quiet, which is why I read at night because it's peaceful and quiet and easy to concentrate in the story :)


  10. Unfortunately this is a big problem for me as I can't read with distractions. Even music in the doctor's office is enough to distract me. Usually I'll try to sneak off to the bedroom before bed to read in quiet but my husband usually follows and turns the TV on in bed. Grrrr! :)


  11. Alice Says:

    I can usually shut off distractions around me quite effectively. But as you've said, sometimes I want silence especially when I'm reading things that require me to "decompose" and analyze. :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.