Melody
I don't know why, but I felt a strong sense of bittersweet and nostalgic of the past hitting on me today and thus, this post was created. Perhaps this is a telltale sign of I getting old, but honestly I was more delighted on the idea of sharing them with you here than the sad reminder that time waits for no man (OK, so I do think of the latter quite often but let's not think about that at the moment).

Nostalgic moments. Where shall I start? Well, since I have no memories of my kindergarten days (except a photo of myself wearing a 'Graduate gown' that is currently kept hidden in my husband's wallet), I shall share my nostalgic moments of my Primary School days.

For starters, I was an introvert girl and my biggest passion is reading and writing. I read a lot of Nancy Drew and Enid Blyton books, and needless to say, I was a regular patron of our school library (at that time I didn't get to visit the public library due to the distance). When I was in Primary Four, I fell in love with Chinese essay writing and at one time, I even sent one of my essays to a local paper but was rejected. Not giving it up, I sent another essay to them. I can still remember a gist of the content today - it was about my first visit to a fast food restaurant and there I wrote about my experience of the visit and the food I had. Now I'm sure this idea may sound silly to you (come to think of it, I do think it sounds silly) but looking back, visiting a fast food restaurant was a big deal to me because my mom always made sure we had homecooked food (not that I was complaining) and thus, the fast food experience was considered special to me. Anyway, I was thrilled that my essay was published and I continued to send in a few more. I think the next essay sounds a bit more exciting, after all I wrote about my trip to Genting Highlands in Malaysia.

Besides reading and writing, I also had a passion for letterpads and stickers. I remember I had a classmate who also shared the same passion with me, and everytime the bell rang for recess, we would make a dash to the school bookshop instead of the foodstalls. We would rummage through the stacks and pick our favourites until I was sure the owner had given up on us. I wish I could show you some pictures of my collections but unfortunately, they were either used or thrown away during spring-cleaning (though it was more of the former). I googled and found the following picture that looks quite similar to my collections back then (mine is more on the Sanrio characters and mentioning of those, I too loved Strawberry Shortcake!).

Now there's this famous saying that all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy so let me share with you one of my favourite games of all times - five stones. Played by 2 or more players, this is a game that test your catching and balancing skills and anyone who complete till the last level without fail wins. And the items of this game is simple and all you need is 5 small triangular cloth bags (they can be filled with rice, sand or small beans) and you are all set to play. I had tried making a set myself but the size turned out to be a little too big, still I had to admit it was fun making them.

Well, I think I had rambled enough and I hope I didn't bore you with my nostalgic moments. Thanks for reading till the end and I hope you have a great weekend ahead!

15 Responses
  1. bermudaonion Says:

    I think it's so sweet that your husband carries your kindergarten graduation picture in his wallet. Thanks for sharing your memories!


  2. Beth F Says:

    I loved this post! And how neat that your essays were published. It was fun to get to know a little more about you.


  3. Ladytink_534 Says:

    I actually remember more about kindergarten than I do about second grade lol. These Sanrio characters are so cute! When I was a kid there was a huge Lisa Frank phase going on. Cute post!


  4. Anonymous Says:

    I had lots of Sanrio goods too and my favourite was My Melody!


  5. Iliana Says:

    I loved this post, Melody! And, like Bermudaonion said, how sweet that your husband carries your picture in his wallet. So adorable.

    Aside from reading, I also loved collecting stickers. I don't even know what happened to my collection now that I think about it.

    Thank you for sharing your trip down memory lane with us and have a great weekend!


  6. The Bookworm Says:

    nice post mel and very cool that your essay was published :)
    I used to collect stickers too. My best friend in grade school and I would save up our money to go to a cutesy store in the mall that sold stickers. I loved anything Hello Kitty and Twin Stars...lol.

    Its always nice to reminisce on the good old days :)
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  7. Darlyn Says:

    That is so cool.Now I'm wondering my nostalgic moment ;p


  8. There are times when I get hit with a wave of nostalgia as well. Your Sanrio picture reminds me of when our mall had a store that was devoted entirely to Sanrio and Hello Kitty. EVERYTHING in the store. I loved going there and picking up fun school supplies.

    How fun that your essay was published!


  9. Melody Says:

    Kathy, Beth, Jen, Chasingbawa, Iliana, Naida, Darlyn & Trish - Thank you, ladies, for your comments! And I'm glad to see that some of you had the same interests as I. :)


  10. Julia Says:

    Awwwww I find it really sweet that your hubby kept a photo of you wearing your Kindergarten 'Graduate gown' in his wallet :)



  11. Darlene Says:

    I loved this post Melody! How sweet that your husband carries your kindergarten picture in his wallet. You know when I was a kid we didn't eat fast food either. We always had home cooked meals and so when I got to go out for a hamburger or something it was a huge deal. I didn't eat at a MacDonald's until I was 18. lol. Thanks for sharing these wonderful memories with us.


  12. Alice Says:

    Love this post, Melody! You know, I was having my nostalgic moments too and it's funny how it happened at the same time. :)

    KFC was the big deal for my family when I was young. I just loved those times we would go out and hang out at KFC and get our chicken fix. LOL!

    Your hubby is so sweet to carry your kindergarten pic in his wallet!


  13. Violet Says:

    This was a cute post. Thanks for sharing your memories with us Mel.


  14. Ceri Says:

    Awww, I loved this post. Thank you for sharing with us a piece of your past. :) I'm a sucker for being all nostalgic.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.