Melody

Booking Through ThursdayCheck Spelling

If you’re not enjoying a book, will you stop mid-way? Or do you push through to the end? What makes you decide to stop?


I used to read books till the end before my pre-blogging days (and not to mention before those TBR piles are increasingly growing out of control), and even if I do find some parts intolerable I will skim through them but rarely give them up. However, I can't find myself doing the same now as I used to before because there are too many books for me to read and catch up on, and being a working mother I always have to find time for my reading and those little time here and there are very precious to me, thus I can't force myself to continue reading the book if it doesn't interest me.

That said, I'll still give another chance for the book though and if I still can't get through another two chapters, I'll have to say goodbye to the book and hope that next time around, I might pick up the book to read again but of course that will have to depend on my mood. The few reasons that make me decide to give up on a book are: the writing style; the plot isn't going anywhere and is dragging; no development of the characters etc etc.

What about you?



I had a dream last night that nearly sent me into a panic. Dreams can be funny at times, and sometimes things happen in dreamland where you knew you wouldn't do them in reality and at times they seem so real that you begin to wonder if you've thought of those things without accepting/realising it.

Anyway, I dreamed of selling away my books and among those piles was a series of books that I haven't read but knew I'd love (I couldn't remember the series name or the author). I didn't understand why I did that, but nevertheless I had brought a friend along so she could help me with the sale and everything. There were several customers, and I didn't keep track who was buying what until at the end, I realised the series that I wanted to read were gone. I asked my friend about them and it's funny that she got the number of the customer who had bought them (don't ask me how or why because at this point, everything sounds so illogical to me). I called the number, but no one picked up the call. After several attempts, someone finally answered. The girl who bought my books said she couldn't return me the books and at that point I woke up from the dream. It may sound funny to you, but it's a horror to me, LOL.

Speaking of books, I'm still waiting impatiently for my copy of Mockingjay to arrive! There are times that I regretted pre-ordering online and this is just one of those occasions; the bookstore which I visit regularly already has their stock up on shelves. The reason why I didn't decide to buy Mockingjay from them is because most of the times their new arrivals didn't arrive on time. I suppose this time is different since it is Mockingjay! Oh well...

So, that's my musing for you on this Friday morning. I hope everyone has a great weekend ahead!

10 Responses
  1. Julia Says:

    I usually step back for awhile and then return back to the book. If the second chance doesn't work then I know it time to put it down and move on to the next book. WOW about your dream, you right...it's scary!


  2. Veens Says:

    I usually dump the book; then rethink about it and then give it a try and then if it still doesn't wok... keep it aside and wait for a time, when i might like it LOL!

    And your dream... oh God! horrific! Last year I gave my copy of The Lost Symbol to my cousin and told her to bring it back this year... but she did not! And well I feel bad I had to give it to her.. even though I have read it :)

    I am sure... you will get to all your books before you have to sell them off :)


  3. Ladytink_534 Says:

    I've never had a dream like that before but I have had a dream where I couldn't find the book I was currently reading and I looked everywhere for it. I woke up in a panic thinking I had left it somewhere.


  4. The Bookworm Says:

    I try to finish it, but if it's really bad, I have to stop.

    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/



  5. Ana S. Says:

    lol! Sorry to laugh at your dream - I'd have been horrified if I had it myself, but from the outside there is some humour to it ;)

    I hope you get Mockingjay soon!


  6. Alice Says:

    Sorry you had that dream, Melody! I usually dream about stuff I read in books and if it's a thriller, it's mighty exciting (and exhausting) the next day.


  7. Melody Says:

    Julia - I'm like you. If the second chance didn't work I've to bid the book goodbye.

    Veens - I'm sorry your cousin didn't return your book. I'd too feel bad if I were you since it's not like getting things back from your friends, LOL.

    Gautami - Yeah, indeed. Time is short. :P

    Jen - That's equally a scary dream IMO. ;)

    Naida - Yeah, we just can't waste too much time on a book we couldn't enjoy.

    Ana - LOL. No worries, I'm glad you're able to detect some humour in it and that's part of my point in posting that. :D

    Alice - So far I haven't dream anything thrilling or frightening after reading a book. If I do in future, I wish it'd be a book by my favourite authors, haha.


  8. Iliana Says:

    Melody that was not a dream, it was a nightmare! :) I agree, dreams are funny things.

    On the topic of giving up on a book. I'm with you, I can't spend precious time on a book that is not doing it for me. I've got hundreds of other books waiting!


  9. Anonymous Says:

    LOL! Glad I'm not the only one who has crazy dreams about books!


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.