Melody

Booking Through ThursdayCheck Spelling

I'm late for this week's Booking Through Thursday. Anyway, it's been awhile I have participated in it and I find this week's questions to be fun. Here goes:

1. Favorite childhood book?
Nancy Drew.

2. What are you reading right now?
Everlasting by Angie Frazier.

3. What books do you have on request at the library?
I don't have the habit of requesting books at the library, morever they charge for books request.

4. Bad book habit?
Does buying books and not reading them counts?

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
i) Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson (which I'd reviewed lately)
ii) Everlasting by Angie Frazier
iii) Walk of the Spirits by Richie Tankersley Cusick

6. Do you have an e-reader?
No. I'm not into e-books anyway.

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
I've no preference, but the most I can read is two books at a time.

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
Yes! I've started to read more genres now as I used to read romance and thrillers during my pre-blogging days.

9. Least favorite book you read this year (so far?)
The Diving Pool by Yoko Ogawa. I find the lead character and the story to be disturbing.

10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?
I'd read a few good ones this year:

Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols, Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles, Faithful Place by Tana French, Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane, Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson, Blankets by Craig Thompson, Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters.

11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?
It depends on my mood.

12. What is your reading comfort zone?
Romance, thrillers (including horrors) and YA.

13. Can you read on the bus?
I can but not for a long period of time, otherwise I'd get dizzy. However I've no problem reading in a train though.

14. Favorite place to read?
My living room sofa.

15. What is your policy on book lending?
I only lend books to friends who I know will treat them with care.

16. Do you ever dog-ear books?
Rarely and not if I can help it.

17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
No, unless they are textbooks.

18. Not even with text books?
See above.

19. What is your favorite language to read in?
English and Chinese.

20. What makes you love a book?
A great plot with great characterisations. I also love books that are emotionally charged and that they make me think.

21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
See above.

22. Favorite genre?
That's a tough question because I have a few favorite genres.

23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)
Non-fiction.

24. Favorite biography?
I rarely read biography.

25. Have you ever read a self-help book?
Yes.

26. Favorite cookbook?
Any cookbooks on vegetarian dishes.

27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?
Many Lives, Many Masters by Brian L. Weiss (non-fiction)

28. Favorite reading snack?
Chips.

29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.
I can't think of any as I try to avoid reading too many reviews on an overly-hype book.

30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
Sometimes. I don't often agree with critics but I do trust reviews by my favourite blogger friends.

31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
I always feel uncomfortable giving bad/negative reviews but then again I feel I should state my honest opinions.

32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you chose?
Japanese (not only for the literature but for mangas as well).

33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov.

34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (it's a chunkster, that's why).

35. Favorite Poet?
I don't read poetry.

36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
Four, though one can borrow up to 6 books under the library policy.

37. How often have you returned book to the library unread?
A few times.

38. Favorite fictional character?
Harry Potter.

39. Favorite fictional villain?
Voldermont, without a doubt.

40. Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation?
Any books that I'm currently reading at that time.

41. The longest I’ve gone without reading.
I couldn't recall myself not reading a book for a long time.

42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.
Infinity by Sherrilyn Kenyon but that's because I didn't realise there are zombies in it.

43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
TV and/or music.

44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?
Pride and Prejudice (the one featuring Kiera Knightly since I haven't watch the BBC version) and Atonement.

45. Most disappointing film adaptation?
Twilight (I've to say Robert Pattinson doesn't fit the the image I've had of Edward Cullen, haha).

46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
Too many times that I've lost count.

47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
I try not to.

48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?
When it doesn't interest me anymore and/or the story drags.

49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
Yes, I do but it's hard when you've a limited space to store all your books.

50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
I keep them but I do some weeding occasionally.

51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?
Not really.

52. Name a book that made you angry.
I can't think of any at this moment.

53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?
Out by Natsuo Kirino.

54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?
Away by Amy Bloom.

55. Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading?
Romance.

10 Responses
  1. I'm amazed at your library answers and some other BTT participants answers this week. A few people including yourself mentioned that your library charges for reserves and only lets you borrow 6 books at a time. I'm just curious if you're in a big city or a smaller city or town. I live in MD and I can borrow (as far as I can tell) as many books as I want at a time. They only charge for books that are really new or not released yet if you place a hold on them and then it's only $1.00. I wonder why it's so different everywhere. I mean, I guess, yeah, cause it's different systems and different places, but it would be nice if they were all a bit more lenient in this way.


  2. Ladytink_534 Says:

    I would be completely broke if my library charged! I think War and Peace is on many people's lists today :)

    Here's mine


  3. Ana S. Says:

    I love that Tipping the Velvet and Blankets made your favourites list :D And I'm scared of W&P too.


  4. Veens Says:

    Nancy Drew was my fav too alongwith Secret 7, Archies, Tinkle :)


  5. Darlene Says:

    I still can't believe your library charges for requesting books - that's just wrong. lol.

    Gosh, I had forgotten about Nancy Drew - loved her and the Hardy Boys.

    I just watched Twilight recently as was very disappointed in the movie. I doubt I'm going to bother with the rest of them.


  6. Matt Says:

    I'm very surprised that many book bloggers don't own an eReader and don't write in their books! My answer to these questions are both yes. I recently acquired a Kindle for long-haul travel that for weeks on end I'm away from home. I do, however, stop writing in my books because I use post-its now. :)

    PS. I need to check out Tana French...


  7. Alice Says:

    I enjoy writing in my books and making notes there. I also love my Kindle...


  8. The Bookworm Says:

    I need to read Shutter Island.
    And Voldemort is a great villain :) I totally agree with
    #45, no actor could possibly fit Edwards description.

    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  9. Iliana Says:

    Loved your bad book habit. I have so many unread books. It's an addiction that I just can't read as fast as I buy them :)


  10. Julia Says:

    It is interesting to learn fact about you, Melody :) And yes I do consider buying books and not reading them counts as bad book habit -- Its my habit LOL! And you know, I have to chuckle that you said WAR AND PEACE by Leo Tolstoy is most intimidating book you're nervous to read. I though you will say OUTLANDER by Diana Gabaldon, which I love LOL ;) I might agree with you about Twilight being disappointed film adaptation. Even though I have not read the book. While the movie was good, it wasn't something to be WOW about on most part :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.