Melody
I'd have watched Inception way earlier after reading all the rave reviews about it, but the screening time just wasn't right according to my schedule as my preference was to catch the movie after getting off of work. Anyway, my husband was off of work yesterday for an errand and I took the afternoon off so we could catch this movie, finally.

Where shall I begin? Let's start with the reviews I had read. Have you ever read some of the reviews that said it is best not to know anything (and not even the plot) prior to watching this movie? Believe me, it is so true! Most of the reviews I read stated something like 'don't be too quick to judge what you've seen' and 'to expect the unexpected'. With these perceptions in mind, I stepped into the cinema with a curious mind and waiting for any surprise to fall onto me.

I don't want to mention about the plot, as I'm certain most of you must have watched it by now, and plus I don't know to spoil it for anyone who hasn't watch this yet. Let's just say I was totally blown away by the creativity and the quality of the story. I also felt that the cast had all done a great performance, in particularly to Leonardo DiCaprio. I'd also watched his performance in Shutter Island and I felt he had a way of playing tortured characters. I was also in awe of the visual effects, and the concept between surrealism and well, reality. Suffice it to say that Inception is both a smart and a thought-provoking movie, and I'd highly recommend it if you haven't watch it! (5 stars)

We later went to watch The Last Airbender at another cinema in the evening, this time around with our 6-year-old daughter. I don't think I'd ever watched two movies in a day so I really enjoyed every moment of it. I've to admit I'd no intention of watching this movie initially, but both my husband and my daughter were quite keen about it (she and my nephew are fans of the Avatar animations) and I didn't want to be a spoilsport.

I knew it isn't fair to compare Inception with The Last Airbender due to the difference of genre and so forth, but I've to say I wasn't really hooked and/or intrigued by the plot at all. Don't get me wrong, I do find the mythical world of the four elements (Air, Water, Earth and Fire) to be interesting and I think the visual effects are commendable, but I'm afraid to say I don't really care about the characters. Aang, the Avatar reminds me a little of a Shaolin monk who knew all his Kung Fu moves, and I find Jackson Rathbone's role of Sokka, a member of the Water tribe to be somewhat annoying at times. In a nutshell, this movie is about war and disharmony among the four element tribes and only the Avatar has the power to bend all the four elements and keep the balance in the world. All in all, I find this movie satisfying but I can't say I liked it. (3 stars)

What movies have you seen lately?



I found this fun meme over at Iliana's blog and couldn't resist playing. The key is to fill in the rest of the sentence with a title of a book read in the past year.

In school I was: Bloody Good (Haha)

People might be surprised I’m: Dancing with Ana (Anyone knew me well knows that I’m no dancing queen)

I will never be: The Billionaire's Bride of Vengeance

My fantasy job is: The Actor and the Housewife (OK, more like an actress)

At the end of a long day I need: Song of Renewal

I hate it when: Mr Darcy Broke My Heart

Wish I had: Wings

My family reunions are: Private

At a party you’d find me with: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (Hey, it’s a costume party after all!)

I’ve never been to: Revolutionary Road

A happy day includes: The Love Letter (from my husband of course)

Motto I live by: Wait Until Twilight

On my bucket list: Chicken with Plums

In my next life, I want to be: The Piano Teacher

I hope you'd join in the fun! Let me know if you are playing so I can go read your answers!

Labels: , edit post
10 Responses
  1. Julia Says:

    I am at awes that you get to see two movies in one day! I would love to be able to do that one day teehee. I'm glad you like Inception, since it one of the movie I want to see. But am sorry that you didn't enjoy The Last Airbender as much. I try to keep an open mind if I ever have the chance to see both movies. Great movie's reviews Melody!


  2. Ladytink_534 Says:

    I just saw this meme on another site but since the BTT this week is a meme I'm not going to play. I haven't seen either of these movies but we'll probably go watch Inception soon.


  3. Violet Says:

    I wanted to see The Last Airbender but now I'll keep my expectations low.

    Interesting meme.


  4. bermudaonion Says:

    I was in the minority with the Inception - I wasn't crazy about it.


  5. Sandy Nawrot Says:

    A few times in my life, when the kids were with friends and I had nothing going on, I've done a double feature by myself in the middle of the day. Heaven. I loved Inception. However, I took the kids, and I feared they would be lost so I did read the plot to them. My son got it, my daughter (ironically the older one) did not. My parents fell asleep! I love anything creative and different, and this movie had it covered in those two categories.

    As far as The Last Airbender, I don't think I'd go even if it were free. At this point, Nick Cage is just trying to pay off his debts and is taking any role given to him.


  6. Melissa Says:

    I kind of want to see both the movies... eventually. Inception I should probably see on the big screen, though.

    And I did the meme here. Thanks for the idea!


  7. Alice Says:

    I want to watch Inception and I haven't got the time. Argggghh...

    I like the first answer to you meme. LOL


  8. The Bookworm Says:

    Inception looks fantastic, great review! The Last Airbender isn't my kind of movie.

    Great answers to the bookish meme, I like that first one...lol.
    My answers will be up Monday :)

    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  9. Iliana Says:

    So glad you played Melody - loved your answers. Isn't it fun to play with book titles :)

    I really enjoyed Inception too. I think I've become quite the Leo fan!


  10. Anonymous Says:

    I loved Inception too. I haven't heard too many good things about the Last Airbender so I'll probably skip that one. Fun meme :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.