Melody
ISBN-13: 978-1407121086
Publisher: Scholastic
Published: July 2010
432 pgs
Series: Wolves of Mercy Falls #2
Source: Personal Library




Have you read Shiver where it is about a love story between a wolf boy and a human girl? I really enjoyed reading that book, and suffice it to say there was a lot of tension and intrigue in there. I was hooked by Stiefvater's worldbuilding of the wolves and not to mention the romance between the protagonists Sam and Grace.

Needless to say when my copy of Linger arrived, I devoured it the moment I had unwrapped the package and the other book which I'm currently reading has to wait, unfortunately. I'm not implying that the other book is uninteresting, but the anticipation of reading Linger is too great and I couldn't trust myself to wait any longer. Thus, it is no surprise that I began reading Linger with a much higher expectation, after all the waiting and many of the rave reviews I read over the blogosphere.

I have to admit Linger was not what I had expected and by saying this, I meant it positively. For starters, I was delighted that Maggie Stiefvater had added Cole and Isabel as the narrators, besides Sam and Grace that is. I find it great to hear from Cole's and Isabel's perspectives, after all I think they played an important role not only to the story but to Sam's and Grace's life as well.

If you have read Shiver, you'd be able to remember Isabel. She is the sister of the deceased Jack; a girl who is gutsy and never afraid to speak up her mind. Cole, on the other hand, has character and though he has issues, he is another character that I have grown to like as the story progress. Perhaps one reason I find him likeable is he is indifferent to his rock star status, and the more I read about him, I wished Maggie Stiefvater had introduced him earlier in Shiver.

Sam and Grace seemed to have much more time together this time around, but unfortunately for Grace, this was also the time when her parents started to care and to take note of her whereabouts. They weren't pleased to see Sam and Grace being with each other most of the times, and their sudden and overly concern has infuriated Grace. But there are certainly worse things to come and once again, Sam and Grace have to fight to be together for an unexpected circumstances have drove them apart.

There are certainly a lot of emotions unleashed by the four narratives in Linger, but all of them shared a common emotion - frustration. There is also a lot of uncertainty here and in spite of this, they are not giving up hope, yet. And this is what made the Wolves of Mercy Fall series such a compelling read. I cannot wait for the final instalment, Forever, to be released next year.



I figured I have to give my Wordless Wednesday post a miss this week, considering I haven't gone through my photo archives yet. Plus, I have lots of catching up to do, work wise and blog hopping. Also, I will be away on Thursday and Friday for a seminar, so it looks like I will have more catching up to do next week... oh well, that's life.

Hope everyone has a great week!

10 Responses
  1. Iliana Says:

    Wonderful review Melody. Aren't the covers for these books great too? I love them. I still haven't gotten around to reading Shiver but it's on my list. And, it looks like I should definitely read that before Linger.

    Hope your week is going well! I've been having two crazy weeks at work so I'm behind everything too :)


  2. Sandy Nawrot Says:

    My daughter has read Shiver, and she is frothing at the mouth to read Linger. I need to catch up! I have no idea if I will like these books or not, but I feel like it is pop culture in the making and I need to be in on it.


  3. Violet Says:

    Jack's sister was one character I really loved in Shiver, I'm glad she is one of the narrator's in this book. I didn't enjoy Shiver as much but I might give Linger a chance if I find it in the library.


  4. Alice Says:

    It's definitely in the plan for me to read this soon.


  5. S. Krishna Says:

    I didn't love Shiver, but really liked how Stiefvater developed the story in Linger. I, too, am curious as to where she will take the story in the final installment!


  6. Anonymous Says:

    I think I am going to love these books. I have a copy of Shiver on my reading pile and will get this once I have read the first one.


  7. Ladytink_534 Says:

    I want the first one SO bad.


  8. The Bookworm Says:

    These sound so good, I need to read them also. Great review!
    I know what you mean, sometimes you need to put all other books on hold to read the one you've been waiting for.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  9. Julia Says:

    Hope you enjoy Linger, as much when you love Shiver :)


  10. Darlene Says:

    Great review. I have both of these books and can't wait to read them. I'm glad you enjoyed them.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.