Melody
ISBN-13: 9780545114738
Publisher: Scholastic, Inc.
Published: June 2010
336 pgs
Source: Library




This story is set during the 1850s of San Francisco. 17-year-old Camille Rowen is the daughter of a sea captain and while other ladies her age care about stepping into the glittering society, her main interest remains travelling aboard in her father's ship. However, her father wishes her to take on the role of a proper lady so she is set to marry a young man whom her father has businesses with. As much as Camille likes Randall, she doesn't feel any sparks with him and this makes her wonder if she has any feelings for him.

During her last voyage to Australia before the wedding, she stumbled upon a letter addressed to her father. It was sent from her supposedly dead mother and Camille couldn't understand why her father had kept this secret from her all these years. Needless to say, she felt cheated and angry. However, there is a reason behind her mother's letter and her father intends to follow her wishes and that explains their route to Australia, where her mother is now residing. Camille has learned about a map in her mother's possession but what she didn't know is this will lead them to a magical stone which is believed to be able to bring a dead person to life. Unfortunately, they are not the only one who knew about the map and the stone but what most hurt Camille's heart is she has lost her father to a storm.

Saddened by this, she travels to Port Adelaide with the company of Oscar, a young sailor who's been her father's assistant all this while ever since her father had took him under his wing many years ago. Camille and Oscar have been drawn to each other way earlier, but alas their status difference stands in the way and moreover Camille's father needs Randall's financial assistance to help getting through all his financial woes. Now with Randall so far away and the adventure and mishaps set in front of them, these have further brought Camille and Oscar closer. Camille has hoped to find the magical stone first before the others so that her father could be saved, if the legend is true.

Everlasting is an interesting adventure story with a romance element to it, however I felt this story didn't captivate me as much as I had first anticipated. Let me start off by saying that I absolutely liked the plot. I found it fascinating; it reminds me of a treasure hunt story but it was to my great disappointment that the hunt didn't happen until towards the last quarter of the story and it felt rushed in my opinion. I could feel there was absolute attraction between Camille and Oscar, but it wasn't intense and most of the times they seem to have different opinions during the adventure which of course isn't a bad thing in my opinion, but at some point it had made me doubtful about his intention.

Another thing I felt disappointed is that there wasn't much explanation about her mother's disappearance and it is rather more of a telling than showing method. Also, I felt there wasn't any closure regarding her relationship with Randall towards the end although deep in my heart I knew that things weren't worked out for them with all the things that had happened. I wanted to love this story, but overall I was just disappointed due to the above reasons. That said, please don't let my opinions deter you from reading this book, after all it is a matter of personal reading preferences and opinions.

7 Responses
  1. Julia Says:

    I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed with the story, Melody. When you read me the synopsis, I was intrigue by it and anxious to wait your review on the book :)


  2. Ana S. Says:

    The premise does sound great - what a pity it wasn't as good as it could have been.


  3. Ladytink_534 Says:

    I didn't think this really sounded like my kind of thing.


  4. Veens Says:

    I kind of liked the synopsis!


  5. Darlene Says:

    Sorry this one was a disappointment for you Melody. I do love the cover.


  6. The Bookworm Says:

    sorry it was a letdown, the premise sounds good.
    Thanks for the honest review.

    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  7. Anonymous Says:

    The plot does sound good. Too bad it disappointed.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.