Melody
ISBN: 9780140621679
Publisher: Penguin Group (Penguin Popular Classics)
Published: 1995
154 pgs




I chose this book as a kick off for the Classics Challenge hosted by the lovely Trish.

Dorothy is our heroine in this story, and I have to say she is one determined young lady who would not allow anything to defeat her and she would grit her teeth and face any challenges that are thrown towards her way.

It all begins when a cyclone blew her house away but unfortunately Dorothy had no time to hide the way her Aunt Em and Uncle Henry did. The strong wind carried the house away before it finally landed onto none other than the Wicked Witch of the East. The people at the land of the Munchkins are very grateful to Dorothy for getting rid of the witch but Dorothy is more interested of finding a way home in Kansas! When she understand from the Munchkins that the Great Wizard of Oz might have a solution to finding her way home, she set her journey to The City of Emeralds where he lives, despite the journey is long and she might encounter something dark and terrible along the way. She wore the silver shoes left by the wicked witch, for the Munchkins believed there is some charm connected with them.

Along the way, she gets to meet the Scarecrow who wishes for a brain, a Tin Woodman who wishes for a heart, and finally a cowardly lion who wishes for courage. Each of them has a story to tell and they have became good friends quickly. Together with her three newfound companions, Dorothy will follow the Yellow Brick Road towards the City of Emeralds but they will soon encounter several challenges that will exercise each of their special quality and have their dreams fulfilled in a few unexpected ways but one would think the experiences they have been through are worthwhile and so meaningful.

Reading The Wonderful Wizard of Oz had made me feel like a young girl all over again. Although I have yet to watch the movie, but I have vague memories of the animations I had seen when I was a child. I remember I was really in awe of Dorothy, and I had a special fondness for her three non-human companions as well; each has his special skills and talents but it took some experiences before they gained their confidence and be their true self again.

I am simply amazed by the story premise and felt every plot is so cleverly planned and are interconnected. I love reading stories that have lessons learnt along the way, yet not in a preaching manner. This book is one of them, and another best thing is it brought me fond memories of my childhood days. It is no wonder this story is a favourite classics of all time.

Favourite quotes:
Experience is the only thing that brings knowledge, and the longer you are on earth the more experience you are sure to get.
There is no living thing that is not afraid when it faces danger. True courage is in facing danger when you are afraid, and that kind of courage you have in plenty.

(Let me know if you have a review of this and I will add your link onto mine.)
15 Responses
  1. Sandy Nawrot Says:

    It has been so long since I've read this! A relative actually bought the entire set for my daughter. I need to read the entire thing. These are wonderful books!


  2. Anonymous Says:

    Glad you like the book. As you said it teaches you things without being preachy.
    I don't like this cover though. I know 'Wizard of Oz' does not need a good cover to attract people but still...


  3. Melody Says:

    Sandy - I guess I need to check out the rest! I'm sure they are as wonderful as this tale!

    Violet - I've to admit this cover offers nothing to the readers' imaginations, but I do like the simplicity of it. :)


  4. Julia Says:

    So glad you enjoy this Wizard of Oz book. I have seen the movie version too many times to count when I was kid. Even growing up I see it whenever I catch it on TV special. Now lately it haven't been showing the movie on TV, only once in awhile. I find myself..missing it. :)

    Great review!


  5. Jeane Says:

    I've always really liked that quote you shared about courage. When I was young, my public library had a whole shelf of Frank L Baum- I read almost the entire series, but now I don't recall much of any but the first (and famous) wizard of oz.


  6. Alice Says:

    This is a fun book! I love the animation when I was young... :D


  7. Melody Says:

    Julia - Thanks! I've never seen the movie so this has definitely piqued my curiosity! LOL.

    Jeane - I guess I've to look out for other books by this author after reading this book!

    Alice - It sure is fun! :)


  8. Jo Says:

    I've been wantng to read this ever since I read Wicked! I've only ever seen the film. I never thought I could fit it into the classics challenge!


  9. Melody Says:

    Jo - I haven't read Wicked so I'm going to check that as well.


  10. The Bookworm Says:

    one of my favorite films, I need to read the book. great review!
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  11. Melody Says:

    Naida - Thanks! I need to watch the film! :)


  12. Jane Says:

    I cannot believe I never read this. This is going on my TBR list.


  13. Iliana Says:

    This is another of those classics I've never read. The movie was good though :)

    So glad to hear you enjoyed it and you'll have to tell us what you think of the movie when you finally get around to it!


  14. Melody Says:

    Jaimie - Although I had watched the animations, however this is the first time I read the book!

    Iliana - I really need to watch the movie since you all have raved about it! :)


  15. Ladytink_534 Says:

    I've read and re-read this a couple of times and meant to read all of the Oz books but never got around to reading more than two or three lol.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.