Melody
This book is about family, relationships, choices, secrets and unconditional love. A moving and thought provoking story that touches my heart, and that it will stay in my mind for a long time.

The year is 1964. Dr. David Henry is an orthopedic surgeon and he has a perfect life. He married Norah - a wonderful and beautiful woman, and they are about to start a family soon. They even have the names chosen - Paul should a boy be born and Phoebe should be a girl. On the night when Norah is in labor, a snowstorm hit and David is forced to deliver his own child with only help of his nurse, Caroline Gill. Although he is thrilled to learn they have twins, he isn't prepared to welcome the baby girl who is diagnosed with Down Syndrome. Hoping to spare everyone in the family from the pain, and that this incident reminds him too much of his young sister who died from a heart condition during his childhood, he decides to send her to an institution and so instructs Caroline to have the baby sent to an institution. Caroline went with a heavy heart, but upon reaching the institution, she changes her mind and decides to raise the baby as and on her own from Lexington, Kentucky to Pittsburgh.

When Norah comes around, she asks David about the twins and he lied to her that Phoebe died at birth. Some years pass by, Norah still couldn't accept the loss of their girl while David continues to harbour the guilt. From there, the story quickly unfolds and readers will soon find out how that one decision will leave an impact to both families - David's and Caroline's.

I liked all the characters in this book. Their emotions are strongly felt and I really sympathize with each of them: David for coming up with the decision (no matter what the circumstances is); Norah for coping with her loss; Paul for his dream and yet his dad has other expectations from him, and also not to mention he wonders about his "dead" sister and how life will be like if she is around; Caroline for her dilemma (as in whether to tell or not to tell) and finally Phoebe being the innocent victim amongst all.

All in all, this is a wonderful novel in my humble opinion. I will definitely check out Kim Edwards' books in future.

Other Bloggers' reviews:
1MoreChapter
Lost in a Good Story
Maw Books Blog
Musings of a Bookish Kitty
Puss Reboots
The 3 R's: Reading, 'Riting, and Randomness
12 Responses
  1. Alice Says:

    Woman, I'm getting this one book (in June). Somehow, I feel I must honor my May Challenge of not buying any books. LOL.

    One fine review, I must say. :)


  2. I read this one recently, and enjoyed it also. Didn't "love" it but I did really enjoy it. Great review :)


  3. Melody Says:

    Thank you, Alice and Stacy for the comments.


  4. Kathy Says:

    Thanks for sharing, Mel. I think I've seen this book cover on your blog, thought the title was interesting, and now that you've shared a synopsis, I am hooked!
    It's on my TBR list now.
    I was at the public library tonight ~ finally got a copy of Nick Sparks' "Dear John" and Diane Mott Davidson's "Dark Tort".
    Can't wait to read 'em!


  5. I am so glad you liked it, Melody! I think a lot of people are quick to judge David for his choices--and while I don't agree with them, I think Kim Edwards did a good job of making him a sympathetic character. Great review!


  6. Melody Says:

    Hi Kathy, I hope you will enjoy the book. Let me know what you think after reading it ok! :)

    Hi Wendy, thank you! Yes, I liked the story. Kim's writing skill is marvelous! I'll check out her books in future.


  7. Alice Says:

    I've started reading it today, Mel! :D


  8. Alice Says:

    Hi Mel, my thots are up. It's a great book!


  9. Melody Says:

    Hey Alice, thanks! Glad that you enjoyed it! :D


  10. Cmate Says:

    You have a chatterbox?

    Anyway, I just wanted to say that I've watched Hanakimi and the ending was disappointing. Maybe it will end better in Hanakimi2. But the choice of casts was really good.

    P/s: Did you see the guys when they came down last Sat?


  11. Melody Says:

    Hi Cybermate, thanks for stopping by my blog! I know you are a good friend of Alice, hehe. ;)

    Nope, I don't have a chatterbox...let me see if I'm able to create one, hmm... ;P

    Yeah, I agree with you about Hana's ending. I was hoping their relationship will be open and much clearer to the audience, but alas it lets us wandering instead...but at least they are saying there will be Part 2. I'll be waiting though... LOL.

    The casts are fantastic, I would say. I love all the characters. Have you heard that the Japanese media are going to shoot one of their own too? I can't believe they haven't thought of it earlier, since the manga series is such a hit!

    Nope, didn't get the chance to see them. Did you?! ;)


  12. Cmate Says:

    Was invited to cover an event on them, but didnt make it.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.