Melody

Okay, so the other day, a friend was commenting on my monthly reading list and asked when I found the time to read. In the ensuing discussion, she described herself as a “goldilocks” when it comes to reading–-she needs to have everything juuuuuust right to be able to focus. This caught my attention because, first, I thought that was a charming way of describing the condition, but, two, while we’ve talked about our reading habits, this is an interesting wrinkle. I’d never really thought about it that way.

So, this is my question to you–are you a Goldilocks kind of reader?
Do you need the light just right, the background noise just so loud but not too loud, the chair just right, the distractions at a minimum?
Or can you open a book at any time and dip right in, whether it’s for twenty seconds, while waiting for the kettle to boil, or indefinitely, like while waiting interminably at the hospital–as long as the book is open in front of your nose, you’re happy to read?


Don’t forget to leave a link to your actual response (so people don’t have to go searching for it) in the comments—or if you prefer, leave your answers in the comments themselves!

I don't think I'm a Goldilocks reader. I can read anywhere, as long as I'm not occupied with anything. However, I do mind a little if there is loud music at the background while I read, it takes away my concentration. And I do read while waiting for the kettle to boil, or when there's a commercial break on TV etc, even more so when I'm waiting at a queue, especially trips to the clinic (unless I'm too sick to read!) or banks (the worse queue amongst all!), and also if I'm waiting for a friend outside. In other words, I read whenever and/or wherever if I have the chance.

16 Responses
  1. BooksPlease Says:

    Yes, I'm like you. I forgot in my post to say that music can be distracting, so that really has to be 'just right' before I can concnetrate on reading.


  2. Loud music... yeah, that's tough to read through. But otherwise? I'm right there with you!


  3. Alice Says:

    For me, anywhere goes, Melody! That's when I'm reading fiction. If I read stuff for my studies, I'm 'Goldilocks'. :P


  4. Barbara H. Says:

    I'm pretty much the same way except when reading non-fiction.

    Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts


  5. Darla Says:

    I'm a goldilocks writer, but reading I can do anywhere. :)


  6. Debi Says:

    I'm pretty much with you on this one. Geez...if I didn't fit reading in at all those little moments, I'd never get any done at all!


  7. Stephanie Says:

    Not a Goldilocks either!! When I was in college, I used to love to play Classical music when I was studying (if there weren't any words, I wouldn't get distracted!) That used to drive my room mates NUTS!!

    Great answer...and Happy Thursday!


  8. Julia Says:

    Hey Melody - a little musics and TV on in the background does not bother me much, unless when a author's writing flow need to be read slowly and smoothly to understand the story for me :)

    Happy BTT!


  9. The volume of music or background noise can impede my concentration too. It used to be impossible to distract me, but now, not so much. :-) I haven't gotten my response up yet, but will probably do so before the end of the day.


  10. pussreboots Says:

    It's hard to read my husband is constantly talking to me about inane stuff. Happy BTT.


  11. Becky Says:

    I am right there with ya! Happy BTT! =)


  12. Melody Says:

    Hi everyone! Thank you so much for your comments. :)

    I hope you all have a great weekend ahead. ;)


  13. Anonymous Says:

    I read in queues and waiting for something in the microwave as well. Loud music isn't a problem for me, I have been known to sit reading in a club with everyone getting drunk around me (when my husband worked there).


  14. Becca Says:

    I agree - the one time I can't read is when music is playing. Otherwise, anywhere and everywhere!


  15. i'm not a "goldilocks reader" either! i haven't particularly noticed that music is distracting to me - but i'll have to pay attention to that.


  16. Melody Says:

    Hi Rhinoa! I wish I'm able to read with loud music around me...looks like now I have to train myself, hehe. ;P

    Hi Becca! Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

    Hi Alison! Soft music is fine with me, just no loud music. ;P

    Hope everyone has a great weekend!


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.