Melody




ISBN-13: 9780142004616
Publisher: Penguin Group (USA)
Pub. Date: July 2004
288pp


I bought this book at S$6 during a booksale some months back. It was a good bargain, considering that a new book costs around S$17 over here. This copy looks new too, so I am not sure if it's a used book or if the owner slashed the price to get rid of stock but nevertheless, I was happy with the price. Now back to My Lover's Lover...

Lily and Marcus meet for the first time after she tripped while stepping out from a taxi and Marcus helps her up. They later meet at the gallery opening, and Lily slowly warms up to Marcus' flirts because he seems friendly and he's handsome. He later asks her to live with him as a roommate, and Lily sees no harm in it so she said yes. She later learnt that Marcus is an architect and the loft they are sharing is designed by him. Before she moves in, Marcus shares the place with Aidan who works as a film animator and he gives Lily the impression he is quiet and distant.

But after Lily knows the room she has took over is previously occupied by Marcus' ex-lover, Sinead, she feels curious and puzzled about her moving out because she appears to be leaving in a haste as some of her clothes are still hanging in the wardrobe. When she confronts Marcus, he tells her that she is no longer with them and Lily took it that she is dead. But Lily isn't satisfied with the answer, and later when she thinks she is seeing Sinead's spectral appearance everywhere, the more she wants to find out the truth until one day, she spots the real Sinead and she begs her to tell her everything. And so Sinead shares her whole story through the second half of the book.

At first, I was intrigued with the story premise. I think Maggie O'Farrell had came up with a great plot and had done a good job in building up the suspense from the beginning. I could feel Lily's emotions and understand how and why she is feeling them, but there are also times that I think she is too trusting and naive because whenever she asks Marcus about Sinead, he would simply tell her it is too hard for him to explain things considering he is still hurt or he would just brush it aside. But nothing shocked me more than reading Lily agrees to move in with Marcus after their first meeting. I know we are not living in an age old generation anymore but still I think Lily should be more cautious before she decides to move in with anyone.

Another thing is, although I can understand the author's approach of telling both sides of the story (Lily's and Sinead's) where each occupies half of the book, I'd still prefer the story to be told from Lily's POV because this story is mainly about her. Sinead is just another character in the story and I think I'd enjoy reading more about the mystery surrounding her as the story slowly unveils while flipping through the pages. As you can tell, I am disappointed with this book. I am hoping her other title, The Distance Between Us will not disappoint since I have this in my pile.
8 Responses
  1. Iliana Says:

    I have this book somewhere in the stacks - I think mine was also a bargain copy :)
    Sorry it didn't live up but hopefully the other book will be better!


  2. Melody Says:

    What a nice coincidence, Iliana. :)

    Yes, I'm hoping the other book will be better. I had read some online reviews about this book and that it has received lots more good reviews than My Lover's Lover.


  3. Kathy Says:

    Hi, Melody!
    Nice review of this book; the title is catchy, and the premise is interesting (might make a better movie?!!?).
    Since you didn't give away the 2nd half of the book, I guess I'll have to visit the library and see if I can borrow it! Sorry to hear you were disappointed.....
    I haven't made too much progress on Grisham's "pizza" book; I may just return it and buy a used copy at some later date. I'm anxious to start the book you sent!
    Gotta work tomorrow so my TT is gonna be late (gag me!).
    Have a great day!


  4. Melody Says:

    Hey Kathy!
    I like the title and the premise, maybe as you said a movie version might be better! ;) Well, I can't give away the story as I think some readers might want to read it (and you did mention you want to read it, hehe...) so I think this would have to do. Can't wait to hear your thoughts about the book I sent! I hope you'll enjoy it.

    Hope you'll have time to catch up with your TT! I love reading them! :D Well, you've a great day too!


  5. The novel definitely has an interesting premise. I am sorry though that it wasn't executed well. That is disappointing.


  6. Melody Says:

    Indeed it is, Wendy. I'm hoping the next one will be better.


  7. Julia Says:

    Sorry the book wasn't enjoyable to you, but hopefully the next book will :)


  8. Melody Says:

    I'm hoping too, Julia. :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.