Melody
Because today (13 Feb) is Renri *, a few coworkers and I have already made plans long ago to have Yusheng for lunch specially on this day.

What's Yusheng? You may ask. The Chinese will tell you this is a dish made from shredded vegetables (e.g. carrots, radishs of various colours, cucumbers, gingers, onions etc), jellyfish, crackers, grounded peanuts and topped with some spice powder, honey and plum sauce. Strips of raw fish are added into this dish as well (you have the choice to choose either from raw mackerel or salmon) and viola! The dish is ready to serve.

( Picture downloaded from Wikipedia)

All the guests at the table will stand up and using a pair of chopsticks, they will mix the ingredients in the dish and toss them as high as possible. To signify prosperity and to make the atmosphere lively, everyone is required to say some auspicious wishes such as "Happiness", "Healthy", "Good Luck" or whatever your heart desires. After these are said, the guests may help themselves with the dish. I always enjoy having this dish not only of the lively atmosphere but because this dish can be eaten only once a year (i.e. Chinese New Year), and of course there goes without saying I had a sumptuous lunch earlier too.

Happy Birthday, everyone! :D


* Renri - The day of creation of human beings under the Chinese custom, according to the Chinese calendar. This falls under the seventh day of the Chinese New Year.
Labels: edit post
7 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    I should say thanks!

    I see that you chose that everyone optiin! It works better!

    And I have tagged you yet again for a meme I created myself:
    non-fiction all the way--a meme


  2. Kim L Says:

    That sounds like a fun celebration! That dish looks yummy.


  3. Ladytink_534 Says:

    Well... it's certainly colorful!


  4. Iliana Says:

    What fun! Hope you guys had a lovely lunch and happiness for you :)


  5. Melody Says:

    Thanks again, Gautami! :) And I'll work on your meme soon, just give me some time. ;)

    Kim, indeed it is! The more the merrier I'd say, LOL. And I LOVE the dish! :P

    Jen, don't you think the colour also makes the dish looks more appetizing? ;)

    Iliana, we did have a lovely lunch. My coworkers are fun to be with, but at times they talk too much about work! LOL.


  6. Alice Says:

    I had two of that yummy, colourful yee sang last two days. It's still CNY and here's another wish for you: Have a prosperous and healthy new year, Melody! :D


  7. Melody Says:

    Thank you, Alice! I'd like to wish you & your family a prosperous and healthy new year too! :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.