Melody

Who is your favorite female lead character? And why? (And yes, of course, you can name more than one . . . I always have trouble narrowing down these things to one name, why should I force you to?)

This week's question is a tough one for me as I have a few favourite female lead characters in mind. Most of the times, the 'heroine' strikes me as a strong, confident woman who's not afraid of showing her true self and one who's not afraid to speak up and fend for herself. Such heroine can often be found in genres like paranormal, romance suspense or thrillers. Some of my favourites are Anita Blake in Laurell K Hamilton's series and Rachel Morgan in Kim Harrison's series (just to name a few).

However, such heroines can also be found in our everyday life and they might not have the ability to handle weapons or kick some butts. Anna Fitzgerald in My Sister's Keeper (written by Jodi Picoult) is the first to pop into my mind. You see, thirteen-year-old Anna has to make a hard decision whether or not to continue to undergo surgeries and transfusions to her older sister who has leukemia as she thinks she is entitled to her own rights. I really sympathize her situation, and I have to marvel at her braveness given her age. Needless to say, this book is a keeper.

And then, there's Tamila Soroush in Veil of Roses (written by Laura Fitzgerald) which I'm currently reading. Being an Iranian woman, Tamila's movement is often restricted. So one day, her parents give her a ticket to America, hoping she will find a husband there and not to return to Iran if she's successful. Although I have yet to finish the book, I already admire her determination and courage of finding her happiness and freedom. It is scary to be in a foreign country where she know nothing of their culture, but she is fortunate that her older sister is living there although she insists in taking things into her own hands. I hope she will find her happiness...we shall see.

I am sure there are a few other heroines who had left a deep impression but my mind is blank at the moment, so I think these answers will have to do.

28 Responses
  1. Kat Says:

    I've heard of Veil of Roses, but I haven't read it yet. Your description made me all the more curious. :D


  2. BooksPlease Says:

    I don't know any of these characters, but I agree about the character of a heroine as a strong, confident person. The ones you mention sound really brave characters.


  3. Julia Says:

    I agree with you that most heroine can also be found in our everyday life too. I consider my mom as my heroine *grin*

    Great answers, I hope you have a good Thursday!


  4. Picoult's female character are always so strong. I like Anna too.


  5. joanna Says:

    I really liked Anna too, I had a lot of admiration for her. I thought the book was excellent.

    I just added Veil of Roses to my list - I'd never heard of it before and it sounds so interesting!


  6. Debi Says:

    Great question! And I loved your answer, Melody! Especially the part about everyday heroines :)


  7. Melody Says:

    Kat - I hope you'll pick it up if you've the chance. I'm really enjoying it. ;)

    Booksplease - Indeed they are. And I always find joy in reading them.

    Julia - Thanks. I think greatly of my mom too!! She'll always live in my heart.

    Gautami - You said it. I'm still trying to catch up with the rest of Jodi Picoult's books. ;)

    Joanna - Yep! That's one of my favourite Picoult's book! I'm glad to hear you're adding Veil of Roses to your list, I hope you'll enjoy reading it.

    Debi - Thank you. I like this week's question. I've a good time thinking of my favourite female lead character. And yes, I've great admiration for the everyday heroines. I find I've a lot to learn from them. :)


  8. Anonymous Says:

    Harrison is in my soon-to-be-read pile but I haven't heard of the others.


  9. Darla Says:

    Oh, I'm so glad you're enjoying Veil of Roses! I loved Tami, too. I can't wait to see your review!


  10. Melody Says:

    Mervi - I hope you'll enjoy reading Harrison's books. :)

    Darla - I'm enjoying the book so far! The premise is great, and I can't wait to finish the book. ;)


  11. Anonymous Says:

    I can't believe I still haven't read My Sisters Keeper. Soon I promise!


  12. Anonymous Says:

    I haven't read any of these -- I am finding lots of interesting choices for today!


  13. trish Says:

    I thought about mentioning the girl from My Sister's Keeper but I couldn't remember her name. I'm glad you could remember!

    Happy BTT!


  14. Anonymous Says:

    Ooh Veil of Roses - I've heard of that one, and I had wondered if it was any good.


  15. Iliana Says:

    Ah, Anita Blake! I haven't read that series in a long time. I didn't get very far into it either but it was fun. I really want to read Kim Harrison's books - those sound fun.
    This is a good question, I know without a doubt Maisie Dobbs would be one of my favorites.


  16. pussreboots Says:

    I haven't read either book. Happy BTT.


  17. Maree Says:

    I loved My Sister's Keeper, and you're right _ for a 13-year-old to stand up like that, takes a lot of bravery.


  18. My Sister's Keeper sounds like a tough read but interesting.


  19. Melody Says:

    Rhinoa - Great! I can't wait to hear your thoughts.

    Eden - Thanks for visiting and the invitation. I'll check it out in a moment.

    Barbara - Indeed. And I enjoyed reading other readers' thoughts as well.

    Trish - I couldn't either, so I checked with the online bookstore, hehe.

    Val - I'm enjoying the book so far. I hope you'll pick it up soon.

    Iliana - I too haven't been reading Anita's series in a long time. And yes, you should try reading Kim Harrison's books, they're equally good.

    Pussreboots - I hope you'll pick them up if you've the chance.

    Maree - Exactly my thoughts. :)


  20. Melody Says:

    Chris - It's a great reading experience, though everything seems so sad...


  21. Kim L Says:

    OMG no way!!! I thought of Anna from My Sister's Keeper too. I did not expect anyone else to put her down. Wasn't it a great book? I could not get it out of my head after I read it.


  22. Melody Says:

    Oh wow! Great minds thinks alike, hehe... I love that book, and like you I couldn't get it out of my head after reading it.


  23. Anonymous Says:

    Did you know that they are making My Sister's Keeper into a movie? I enjoyed the book, but it might be hard to watch. I read Veil of Roses last year and the author sent me a signed copy as a giveaway on my blog. She is a super nice person and has just finished her next book, which will be out in February 2009. She is also working on a children's book.


  24. Rachel Morgan's a great pick, but sometimes, I think she's a little too ... I don't know. Maybe it's because it's a paranormal and the usual rules don't apply. I'm not sure.

    Anna is also an interesting choice. I wouldn't have thought of her, but she's brave, all right.


  25. Anna Fitzgerald is definitely a worthy favorite. My Sister's Keeper was such a good book.

    I hope you have a good weekend, Melody!


  26. Melody Says:

    Stephanie - Oh! I didn't know, but I'm thrilled to hear they're going to make that into a movie! Though I admit it'd be hard to watch, but I'd like to see how they'll portray through the movie too. Laura Fitzgerald is a talented author, I really enjoy reading this book. I'll be looking out for her next release! ;)

    Susan - I understand what you meant about Rachel. ;) And I chose Anna because she's a brave young girl, despite everything.

    Wendy - She is in my opinion. And I don't think I'll ever get tired of reading it... I hope you too have a great weekend! :D


  27. Jane Says:

    Great answer Melody!


  28. Melody Says:

    Thanks, Jaimie! :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.