Melody




ISBN-13: 9780446618342
Publisher: Warner
Pub. Date: August 2007
336pp


This is the fourth book written by romance suspense writer, Marliss Melton. I first came across her book Time to Run two years ago and had enjoyed reading it, not realizing that this book is part of a series. I used to have this tendency of reading books out of order but this doesn't really bothers me provided their stories are not connected. However if I realize that the book is somehow connected and has sparked my interest, I will go out the way of buying the rest.

Next to Die is a thrilling romance suspense that has got me hooked from the first page till the end. Navy SEAL hero Joe Montgomery has been carrying this guilt ever since his mission failed and had lost his men in Afghanistan. Being the only survivor, he feels he is responsible in a way for the death of his squad even though in reality it isn't entirely his fault. After this incident and back at home, he becomes a changed person, indulging in drinks and feeling sorry for himself.

Penny Price lives next door to Joe and is attracted to him, but Joe is too busy indulging in his own misery and remaining anonymous from the media after the horrible incident. Being a trained navy physical therapist, Penny not only helps Joe in the healing but getting out of his own demons as well. However, she has her own problem too as she believes the person who is responsible for her father's death five years ago is back into her and her younger sister, Ophelia's life. After reading a journey left by their father, they are convinced that it was their father's partner, Eric Tomlinson, who had murdered him. But their judgement are wrong as they will soon find out, and as Joe goes out to protecting Penny he then finds himself attracted to her along the way.

Aside from these tensions, there is also a subplot of Ophelia and another SEAL Vinny DeInnocentis whose car she has crashes into. Vinny is smitten by her at first sight, but on the other hand Ophelia isn't sure about him especially she finds out he is four years younger than her.

I enjoyed reading Next to Die as the characters are engaging and the story is intriguing. I also liked the part where there is another villian besides Eric Tomlinson whom the author wants us to believe him to be from the beginning. However, I find it amusing that Ophelia is having a fuss about the age difference between herself and Vinny initially; the way she reacts it is as if he is ten years older than she is. I have some friends whose husbands are several years younger than they are, so perhaps this explains why Ophelia's attitude seems a little exaggerating to me. But I will leave it to you to find out whether or not if she and Vinny's relationship works.

11 Responses
  1. Stephanie Says:

    Looks like another author I should read! This sounds like fun.


  2. Melody Says:

    Stephanie, I hope you'll enjoy the book if you've the chance to read it. :)


  3. Kim L Says:

    This sounds like a great read! Thanks for the review.


  4. Jane Says:

    Yes, age doesn't really matter so much anymore. It sounds like a great story and I think I will check out this author. Thanks for the review!


  5. Melody Says:

    Kim, I enjoyed reading it. :)

    Jaimie, I share the same thoughts. Hope you will enjoy it if you do pick it up. :)


  6. Julia Says:

    Glad you enjoy this book. I hope you enjoy the next installment to the series :)


  7. Melody Says:

    I'm sure I will, Julia. :)


  8. Alice Says:

    Coincidentally we both were reading a book with Vinny in it (in Secondhand Smoke by Karen E. Olson). LOL.


  9. Melody Says:

    Great minds thinks alike, Alice! Hehe... ;P


  10. Anonymous Says:

    I read this book a while back and really enjoyed it as well. Penny and Olivia are pretty funny characters.


  11. Melody Says:

    Hi Crystal! Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed reading this book as well. I'm looking forward to reading Marliss Melton's next release!


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.