Melody




ISBN-13: 9780425220610
Publisher: Penguin Group (USA)
Published: April 2008
336pp
Series: Epic of Palins Series, #1



I decided to read something different after reading several fictions in a row. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy reading fictions, it is one of my favourite genres (in fact, most of them are!), but after reading them for a while I want something light and entertaining; one that doesn't give me a heavy heart or leaves me pondering. I picked Dagger-Star not only I was attracted by the cover but it was also my latest acquisition.

Red Gloves is an extraordinary heroine. She is not only beautiful, but a ruthless mercenary as well. As her name indicates, she is always wearing a pair of red gloves and she never takes them off; she had an ugly past she does not want to talk about and she has vowed that she will kill anyone who has seen her bare hands. Besides the red gloves, she also has a dagger-star birthmark on her chest.

Together with her sword-sister, Bethral, they travel around looking for anyone who will hire them. Due to a bad storm, they came upon a demolished farm and seek refuge from a goat-herder named Josiah. But Josiah is not truly a goat-herder, for he is the Baron of Athelbryght and he is a few people who have survived the war but the fallen of Palins have left him bitter and sore after the betrayal of his beloved woman.

When Josiah noticed Red Gloves' birthmark, he feels a surge of hope as he recognizes that sign as a Chosen One that will help them to save the remaining of Palins; and one that will take over the throne one day. However, Red Gloves dismissed the thought and is only interested in being a mercenary. She and Bethral took their leave after staying for a night and during the journey, they saved a man who is being sold for slavery. Under this circumstances, they are forced to return to Josiah to get all the help needed for the badly injured man. This is where Priestess Evelyn comes in, for she is known to heal. Soon, Red Gloves finds herself entangled into the Palin's world of prophecies and mages, and this time around she will help them to restore the shattered world after a validation from the Priestess Evelyn and a bargain made with Josiah.

I was caught into the adventurous tale of Dagger-Star and although I felt the magical element lacking, overall it is still a satisfying read as I enjoyed reading the action scenes and the sexual tension between Red Gloves and Josiah. Red Gloves is exactly what is portrayed on the cover - she is alpha and stubborn; one who is always ready to fight when necessary. On the other hand, Josiah appears to be more beta but that does not mean he is weak. I just loved the ending; I wish I can say something more about the plot but I am afraid of revealing some spoilers along the way.

Elizabeth Vaughan is also the author of the Chronicles of the Warlands trilogy. Though I have yet to read this trilogy, I have read good reviews about them. I am hoping to pick them up one day soon.

9 Responses
  1. Sometimes you just have to read something different for a change! This sounds like an interesting series, Melody. Red Gloves sounds like a great main character.


  2. Alice Says:

    I agree that we have to read different genre as we go along the bookish path. I'm all for it and I do that all the time too. Enjoy!


  3. Melody Says:

    Wendy - Absolutely! I'm glad there're so many genres for us to choose from. :) I'm hoping the next installment will be as exciting as this book.

    Alice - Indeed, or else our reading will get very boring if we stick to a few genres, hehe.


  4. Ana S. Says:

    We all need a fun and different story every now and then, and it sounds like this was the perfect one for you :)


  5. Melody Says:

    I'm with you, Nymeth! :)


  6. Jane Says:

    Sounds exciting! Good for you trying something new!


  7. Melody Says:

    Jaimie - I think fantasy and romance is a great combination IMO. ;)


  8. Anonymous Says:

    This sounds quite fun. I am looking forward to reading some urban fantasy soon. I am glad youenjoyed your break from fiction :)


  9. Melody Says:

    Rhinoa - I'm hoping to read more of your reviews on the urban fantasy soon! :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.