Melody





ISBN-13: 9781423100041
Publisher: Hyperion Books for Children
Published: March 2007
Series: Gallagher Girls Series, #1
284pp



I am a fan of spy stories. I especially love it when the stories feature courageous and intelligent young woman working as an undercover but yet deep in her heart, she is craving for a normal life, to be able to do whatever she feels like doing so without thinking anyone is out to get her behind her back, and then again there is this issue about falling in love. Not just with any young man, but one who does not fit into her world and is way out of her league.

Cammie Morgan is a sophomore at The Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women; it is an exclusive boarding school that is targeted for extraordinary young women not only excel in various different languages but in defense training, chemical warfare and all kinds of modern technology as well. In other words, they are trained to be spies and their identities are always to be kept in confidentality.

During one of the assignments designated by their newest hot teacher, Mr. Joe Solomon, Cammie and her classmates are to spy on Mr. Smith, one of their most senior and has the most experience teacher in school and find out what he drinks at the Roseville town carnival. The class thinks his proposal is crazy, but no one utters any word.

Just when Cammie has retrieved the "prize" which Mr. Smith has thrown in the trash can, she notices a boy across the street that has caught her attention. Josh Abrams appears to have noticed her too, and both of them are equally attracted to each other. Cammie really likes him, but she could not let her identity out so she lies about her life. Bex and Liz, Cammie's two best friends think their relationship would not work, but still they go out their way of supporting her by covering for her whenever there is a call for "emergency". Even Macey, a girl whom they think as a snob who seems to know it all offers some good advice about regular boys.

However, Cammie does has her insecurities too just like any other girls who are in love because Josh has a girl friend, Dee Dee, whom he has known for some time and she likes him too. To make things worsen, his good friend Dillon finds out about her secret identity and she is not sure if she should give up Josh or let herself and the school down.

Do not be fooled by the title, for there is nothing gross or bloody in this story. Although I find this book is no different from any other high school romance books, but I like it that the author, Ally Carter, toss in some actions and adventures into the story, making it a fun read as well. Besides these, this is also a book of friendship and loyalty. I enjoyed reading the friendship between Cammie, Bex and Liz. In my opinion, they are closer than sisters. I even liked Macey too, although she gives me the impression of being snobbish and proud, but looks can be deceiving and I was glad that she is not the person whom I think she is initially. I also find Mr. Joe Solomon a joy to read, because he is one extraordinary teacher. Good looks aside, I find his teaching methods fun and unique. I can understand why some of the Gallagher girls having the hots for him. Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy is the next installment and this book will be added to my wishlist.
10 Responses
  1. Great post! Happy Thursday! Hope you can drop by, drop by at my corner too..


  2. Melody Says:

    Pretty Life - Thanks for visiting my blog. :)


  3. Jane Says:

    Love the title! Oh to be that young again! It sounds like a very fun story and thanks for the great reveiw, Melody!


  4. Alice Says:

    Cute cover, 'scary' title. Great review, Melody! :)


  5. Ana S. Says:

    This sounds completely different from the kind of books I normally read, but your review, as well as some others I read before, got me interested. It sounds like such a fun book.


  6. Debi Says:

    I just may have to go pull this off of Annie's bookshelves. She really loved it! In fact, she just picked up the sequel from the library, because she couldn't wait for the paperback to come out to buy it.


  7. Melody Says:

    Jaimie - I love the title too... very eye-catching isn't it?! ;)

    Alice - I've to admit it is both the cover and the title that made me pick up this book. And I'm glad I did! :)

    Nymeth - I'm hoping you'll read this book soon. It's fun! ;)

    Debi - I'm glad to hear Annie enjoyed reading this. I can't wait to devour the sequel! ;)


  8. Iliana Says:

    I remember as a kid loving Harriet the Spy and all those other girl detectives. I saw this one at the bookstore one day and was a bit tempted now I'm glad to hear you liked it. I think I'll have to give it a try - it sounds like a fun read :)


  9. This sounds like one of my teenage daydreams. :-)


  10. Melody Says:

    Iliana - Nancy Drew is the first detective novels that got me started! ;) I hope you'll enjoy this book.

    Wendy - Me too! :D


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.