Melody




ISBN-13: 9780061245084
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Pub. Date: October 2007
384pp



Catherine "Cat" Crawfield is considered a half vampire, a result from a human mother and a vampire father of an unwanted pregnancy. Feeling bitter about her "mixed" blood heritage, her mother has always warned her about his kind. Hoping to avenge for her mother, she is always on a hunt for her so-called father and his kind and kill them with her stake.

During a hunt for them, she stumbled upon Bones but she was no match for him. It turns out that Bones is a vampire bounty hunter. Bones captured her and made a pact with her. In exchange for finding her father, she will join him in battling evil vampires but first he has to train her to be a better fighter. Having not much choice, Cat reluctantly agrees. Slowly sparks fly between them and Cat began to wonder if there is such thing as a good vampire like him exists, and also if they will capture the cunning Hennessy as Bones has chased for years.

Halfway to the Grave is the first book of the Night Huntress series. I really enjoyed reading it partly because I like a strong, sexy heroine as the protagonist and who knows how to kick some butts. I also like the way how Jeaniene Frost portrayed Cat in an insecure position due to her heritage and how she overcomes it in the end. I too enjoyed reading how Cat and Bone's attractions for each other slowly develop and that their dialogues had me chuckling at times.

Told from a first person perspective, Halfway to the Grave is fast-paced and filled with action packed scenes. Readers who love paranormal genre with a little romance element will enjoy this first installment. I am already looking forward to its second book - One Foot in the Grave which is scheduled to release end April.
15 Responses
  1. Alice Says:

    Sounds like a great book! I'm putting this title into my wishlist and go crazy when I'm off my book oath. LOL.


  2. This one sounds fun! Thanks for the review, Melody!


  3. Melody Says:

    Alice, I hope you have fun during your next book shopping trip!!! ;P

    Wendy, as you can tell I really enjoyed reading this book. I hope you will read it if you have the chance. :)


  4. Jane Says:

    Oh this sounds like good fun! I will have to get this one!


  5. Ana S. Says:

    This really sounds like a lot of fun! I'm going to keep an eye out for it.


  6. Melody Says:

    Hey Jaimie & Nymeth! I can't wait to hear what you ladies think of this book! ;)


  7. Kristie (J) Says:

    I'm reading this one right now - well once I get off the computer that is. I'm not far into it yet - but so far so good.


  8. Melody Says:

    Hi Kristie! Thanks for visiting! I'm hoping to hear your thoughts on this book after you have read it. ;)


  9. Kristie (J) Says:

    I got this one because Katie - my partner ADORES it. It's one of her top books of 2007. So I'll have to post my thoughts on it *chuckle*


  10. Anonymous Says:

    I seldom read this genre. Reading blogs, I find I am truly missing something. Maybe its time to start now.

    :D


  11. Melody Says:

    Ahh... I'll be looking forward to reading it, Kristie. ;)

    Gautami, I love reading the paranormal genre because you don't have to worry much if it is close to reality, hehe. And what's more, it's a fun read. I hope you will start reading them soon. ;)


  12. Anonymous Says:

    What's this, an urban fantasy series I haven't heard of? Surely not! Sounds cool, I like urban fantasy, vampires and cats :) Will keep an eye out for this one and the follow up thanks.


  13. Melody Says:

    Rhinoa, I'm sure you will like this series! :D


  14. Anonymous Says:

    I'll definitely be putting this on my TBR list. If you like this, you'd probably like Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series as well. Anita Blake is a witty, strong (though short), cute heroine. Anyway, when I do read Halfway to the Grave, I'll let you know what I think. :-)

    Trish

    www.trishsdiary.wordpress.com


  15. Melody Says:

    Hi Trish! Thanks for visiting. :) Oh, I love Laurell's Anita Blake series!! I'm already looking forward for her next book to release! I'll be looking forward to hearing your thoughts after you have read it. ;)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.