Melody


ISBN-13: 9780385494243
Publisher: Knopf Publishing Group
Pub. Date: November 1999
208pp


Clive Linley and Vernon Halliday meet each other when they pay their last respects to Molly Lane at a crematorium. Clive is a successful composer, and Vernon is one of London's newspapers editor. Both are Molly's ex-lovers. But Molly had another lover too, and he is none other than Julian Garmony, whose designation is a Foreign Secretary and also a candidate for the Prime Minister role. To make things more complicated, Molly also had a husband by the name of George although their relationship is nothing but bland.

Then, things began to heat up when George finds some photographs of Julian with Molly in a compromising position and he makes them available to Vernon, hoping this scandalous episode would bring Julian down. Clive, on the other hand, thinks this deed is a betrayal and humiliation to the deceased Molly. So the misunderstanding between Vernon and Clive deepens, and one thing leads to another and that is when the story reaches its climax. The ending took me a little aback, which is a good thing because I like a little surprise here and there.

I have expected something more from Amsterdam after reading Atonement. I really enjoyed reading the latter, but frankly speaking I am not really into this story despite this book is the winner of the 1998 Booker Prize and that it has received lots of good reviews. I like Ian McEwan's writing style, but this story just didn't suck me in. I am not a great fan of political issues, so this must have explained how I felt about this book.

On a side note, the movie version of Atonement has finally released today. I have made plans with my husband to watch it next week. I can't wait. I wonder what everyone thinks of this movie?

12 Responses
  1. Marg Says:

    I really enjoyed Atonement when I went to see it last week. I thought that it was a pretty faithful adaptation of the book, and I found myself anticipating certain scenes. In many ways I think it helped clarify a couple of things in the book for me!


  2. Melody Says:

    Thanks, Marg! Your comment makes me want to watch the movie sooner!!!


  3. I am sorry Amsterdam didn't quite live up to Atonement. I will probably give it a try down the road, but that's a ways away.

    I hope you enjoy Atonement! I really enjoyed it--and as can be expected of me, I cried near the end. I'm such a cry baby when it comes to movies and books.


  4. Melody Says:

    Indeed I was disappointed with Amsterdam, but well it's just not my cup of tea. I hope you will enjoy it though.

    I'm like you, Wendy. Emotional scenes makes me cry. I have to remind myself to bring an extra packet of tissues around, haha. ;)


  5. Ana S. Says:

    I have been meaning to try some Ian Mckean, and I've been wondering which one to start with...I think I'll go with Atonement rather than this.


  6. Melody Says:

    Nymeth, I hope you will enjoy reading Atonement, it's one of my favourite books. ;)


  7. Alessandra Says:

    I read Amsterdam too, and didn't like it either. But you're right, Atonement really is a great book.


  8. Melody Says:

    Hi Alessandra! Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

    Though I didn't really enjoy this book, I'm definitely hoping that his other books are better! ;)


  9. Alessandra Says:

    Melody, I don't know if you're familiar with Weekly Geeks, but I've linked to your review in my review post for this book, I hope you don't mind!


  10. Melody Says:

    Hi Alessandra! Thanks for your comments. :)

    Yes, I'm participating in the Weekly Geeks too. I'll be glad to add your review to mine too. Thanks again! :)


  11. Sandra Says:

    I've enjoyed all of McEwan's novels that I've read. Amsterdam is very different than Atonement, as are each of his books, which is why I enjoy them. My favourite is actually Saturday. I have also read Black Dogs, Enduring Love and On Chesil Beach. His writing is consistently good anyway. Thanks for the honest review.


  12. Melody Says:

    I haven't read all books by McEwan, but I really enjoyed reading Atonement. I agree each book is different so even though if I didn't enjoy Amsterdam as much, I'll still read his other books in future.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.