Melody




ISBN-13: 9781594480003
Publisher: Penguin Group (USA)
Pub. Date: April 2004
400pp


"I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975..."

I knew after I read this opening line, I would expect something great from this story. And I wasn't disappointed.

In this debut written by Khaled Hosseini, The Kite Runner is a story about two motherless boys who shared the love of kite running. Growing up in Kabul, they treated each other like brothers. Amir is the son of a wealthy businessman while Hassan is the son of the household servant. Amir often takes life for granted while Hassan is a simple and humble boy who always look up to Amir. But Amir isn't really happy, and he wants to win his father's approval badly by proving himself that he has the makings of a man. He figured that by winning the kite-fighting tournament he would be able to gain his father's approval, although deep in his heart he had wondered why his father treated Hassan better than himself.

Amir finally won the tournament, and Hassan ran after the opponent's runaway kite because both of them knew he was good at it (tracking down the kite that is). Unfortunately, the neighbourhood bullies Assef and gang managed to catch up on him, due to an incident that happened some time ago when Hassan had stood up to them. Amir was too terrified to do anything then, and it seemed that history is repeating itself when he witnessed his childhood buddy being bullied and raped by Assef. Thereafter, Hassan and his father decided to leave town and Amir continued to haunt by his cowardice and guilt through his adulthood, where by then he and his father had fled to America and started a new life.

Then Amir received word from Rahim, his father's old business partner from Pakistan that he wanted to meet him, and that there was a way for Amir to make things right. Soon, Amir would learn the truth about what had happened to Hassan throughout the years, and what he would do to redeem himself...

The Kite Runner is beautifully written, filled with memorable characters and an unforgettable story that will have you mesmerized. It is also thought provoking and emotional that will cause a lump in your throat even after you have closed the book. I am looking forward to the movie version which will open end of this month and can't wait to read the next release A Thousand Splendid Suns.

Other Bloggers' reviews:
16 Responses
  1. Alice Says:

    Hi Melody, great review! I read this last year and the story still touches me deeply. One of the best I've read in 2007. I have A Thousand Splendid Sun in the audiobook format. I'm expecting another great story from Khaled Hosseini.


  2. Anonymous Says:

    Melody, I am so glad you liked it. I don't think A Thousand Splendid Suns is as good, but it's hard to top The Kite Runner. It's certainly worth a read. I hope to get some reviews up in the next day or two. I am behind on that!


  3. Jane Says:

    I am so glad you liked this book. I read it last September and was very impressed too. Great review!


  4. Ladytink_534 Says:

    As much as I keep hearing about this book, it must be the best thing ever written lol!


  5. Melody Says:

    Hi Alice! Thank you. I can't wait to read A Thousand Splendid Suns. Let's see...I have this book listed for the "Unread Authors Challenge", probably I will get to it soon! ;)

    Hi Kristy! I can't wait to read your reviews! The Kite Runner is a GREAT read, I'm hoping A Thousand Splendid Suns will be one memorable story like it.

    Hi Jaimie! Thank you. :) I LOVE this book, this is a keeper!

    Hi Jen! Indeed it is, LOL.


  6. Anonymous Says:

    The Kite Runner is one of my all time favorite books - I just can't wait to read A Thousand Splendid Suns!
    Stephanie
    www.thewrittenword.wordpress.com


  7. Julia Says:

    Great that you enjoy the book! :)


  8. Melody Says:

    Hi Stephanie! I can't wait to read that too! ;)

    Hey Julia! I hope you will enjoy it if you read it next time. :)


  9. Anonymous Says:

    I absolutely loved this book as well. Definitely one of my favorites. I'm glad you liked it too. I will be buying tickets for the movie as well as soon as it comes out. I doubt that the movie can possibly live up the book, but I've heard good things about it so far.

    I look forward to seeing what you think of A Thousand Splendid Suns.


  10. Debi Says:

    This book seems to be loved by everyone who reads it...I really should make room for it in my immense TBR pile!


  11. I am so glad you liked The Kite Runner! It is among my favorites. And you said it so well in your review about it being thought provoking and emotional. I hope to read his other book later this year.


  12. Ana S. Says:

    I've heard a lot about this book (who hasn't) but for some reason I wasn't quite sure if it was for me. Your review really makes me want to pick it up, though!


  13. Melody Says:

    Hi Kim! I can't wait to watch the movies! Books are always the best when it comes to details, but I'd love to watch its actions in movies too. ;)

    Hey Debi! I highly recommend this book to everyone! It's a must-read IMHO. ;)

    Hey Wendy! Thank you. I can't wait to read his other book too, hopefully soon!

    Hi Nymeth! I'm hoping you will pick up this book, it's a great book and the story really touches your heart.


  14. Anonymous Says:

    Hi! First time to your blog. I just finished reading this book this week and thought it was amazing. I read A Thousand Splendid Suns first and I do think that it's better if you had to compare them. But either way they;re both great. It sure makes me appreciate my little life so much more.


  15. Melody Says:

    Hi Maw Books! Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

    I really enjoyed reading this book, and can't wait to jump into A Thousand Splendid Suns which I heard it has received great reviews too. I surely agree with you about appreciating our life after reading the book, they're so thought-provoking.


  16. Unknown Says:

    I have read many thousands of books in every genre (see my other reviews for a general sense). And, without question, this is one of the top three or four books I have ever read.

    Mica
    POF Dating Review


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.