Melody

Last Friday, I had a shock when our washer decided to boycott us. As usual, I loaded my daughter's clothes into the washer but after ten or fifteen minutes later, I heard a loud sound coming from the kitchen. Initially I didn't let the noise bothers me too much because we are so used to its loud vibrating sound during the spinning cycle. Then after a while, I heard another sound coming from the kitchen again and this time it was getting louder. Feeling curious and puzzled, I walked into the kitchen and was shocked to find the washer had toppled over. I couldn't believe my eyes! Just when I thought things didn't get any more worse, the electricity power tripped due to the incident. I felt so hopeless, and didn't know what to do since my husband wasn't back from work yet. So I called his mobile, and asked him to come back as quickly as possible.

Fortunately, it wasn't a long wait for me as he was on his way home. I began babbling non-stop to him about the situation once he was back. I must have sounded like a hysterical wife to you, but you couldn't blame me under that circumstances when I had no one to turn to and that it was getting dark with no electricity power. Anyway, my darling husband got the electricity part fixed, but as for the washer we have to call the service staff to have a look at it. Anyway, the reason behind this inconvenience? The suspension is old, and that the electricity tripped because of the wires when it toppled over. So the friendly and chatty service staff helped to have the wires changed and tested the washer before he left our house. It seems like we don't have to buy a new washer until it decides to boycott us permanently, haha.

Anyway, I am glad to have my washer back even though it is not near to perfect. I shudder whenever I thought of handwashing those piles of dirty clothes. I know this doesn't sound like a big deal to some people, but just imagine I have to do this after a long day of work and by the time I am done with the washing and drying of clothes, the time is getting late. And there I thought I need more time to play with my daughter, watch some TV and catch up on my reading.

Oh, mentioning of reading, here is a list of books I bought recently:
Well, nothing cheers me up more than the mentioning of books! I hope everyone has a great weekend, and happy reading!
Labels: , edit post
10 Responses
  1. Jane Says:

    Wow that doesn't happen everyday! Did you get water all over the floor? I shudder at the thought of handwashing too and I would probably take them to a laundromat but that wouldn't be fun either. Your new list of books looks good. My husband read The Historian over his Christmas break and enjoyed it very much, though reviews were mixed.


  2. Debi Says:

    Oh Melody! I'm so sorry! What a major pain! I'm glad you or your daughter weren't near it when it decided to flip out!

    And that looks like a fine pile of books!


  3. Alice Says:

    Wow Melody... that's quite a saga there, the electricity and the washer. I'm glad it's fixed now...

    I've "War and Peace" sitting in my TBR for some time now waiting for mood to strike before reading. LOL.

    Have a good week ahead! :)


  4. Oh my goodness, that would have really upset me too! It really toppled completely over, how awful! I hope it is all ok and back to normal now. My washing machine died a year ago and we had to buy a new one. I must admit, I do love the new ones. They hold a lot more and seem to get the clothes cleaner. I can't imagine having to wash clothes by hand. Dishes I could handle for a while, but not clothes!

    Hope you have a wonderful day :)


  5. Ladytink_534 Says:

    What is it with washing machines lately?! My mom's messed up (it was about 15 years old) and when she finally got a new one, it messed up a month after she bought it! They replaced it three days later but still! It was brand new! Crazy things!

    I liked Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury but I got hubby to buy The Historian for me when it first came out and I couldn't get through it. I was ready to chunk it against the wall until hubby took it from me lol. I still can't believe that Borders had the hardback version on sale for $6 the other day!


  6. Melody Says:

    Hey Jaimie! I was lucky that there wasn't much water spilled! Imagine the extra work I had to do if it did!!! I'm glad to hear your husband enjoyed reading The Historian. I have heard mixed reviews about that book too.

    Hey Debi! Indeed, thank goodness!!!

    Hi Alice! It was a nightmare! I wouldn't want it to repeat again, LOL! War and Peace is a thick book, and like you I'm waiting for the reading mood to strike, hehe.

    Hi Stacy! It has never happened to me before until now, gosh! Now I'm trying not to take our washer for granted, muhahaha...

    Hi Jen! Wow, I think for a machine to function for 15 years isn't that bad, but the new one was a surprise, isn't it?! We have been using ours for 5 years... I feel the electrical appliances nowadays aren't as reliable as compared to the past, hmm...

    As for The Historian, I have read mixed reviews about it though... it's either a "Love it or Hate it" feeling. ;P


  7. Oh my goodness! I would have been on the phone to my husband too, talking nonstop. I am glad you don't have to worry about a new washing machine yet. They can be so expensive. :-S

    You have some good reading ahead of you! I loved The Historian when I read it. And I hope you will like The Ghost Writer!


  8. Melody Says:

    Indeed they are, Wendy! Thus at the moment we will wait and see how long this machine will last, hehe.

    And I can't wait to jump into those books! ;)


  9. Darla Says:

    Yikes! I'd have been calling my husband, too.

    The new War & Peace miniseries was just on German TV last weekend--my mother-in-law was raving about it. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0495055/ I've never read it, so I'm interested in seeing what you think.


  10. Melody Says:

    I don't think our TV station will air these miniseries, at least not in the upcoming months (or year?! LOL). Not sure when I will read it though, it is such a thick book! I suppose I will have to wait till the reading mood strikes! ;P


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.