Melody




ISBN-13: 9780440236177
Publisher: Dell Publishing
Pub. Date: November 2002
416pp



I first read about the protagonist, DI Jack Caffery when I read Birdman some time ago. The story left me a deep impression, because it was dark and so intense. I decided to look out for more of Mo Hayder's books then, because I like her writing style and her stories are usually deep and complex, which make me ponder over the cases which has to be solved by DI Jack Caffery.

In The Treatment, DI Jack Caffery was called to solve the case where a nine-year-old Rory was found missing, and his parents Alek and Carmel Peach were found prisoners in their own home, suffered from beatings and in serious dehydration. When they found out Rory was dead after, this further reminded DI Jack Caffery of Ewan, his brother's disappearance some years ago which made him feeling angry and frustrated because it remained unsolved, although he thought his neighbour, Ivan Penderecki was the one who did it. Together with DCI Danniella Souness, they looked for clues but as they dug deeper into the case, things became more complicated. And to make things worse, it seemed that the killer has moved on to another family and everything seems to be happening all over again. But this time, DI Jack Caffery wasn't about to let the killer gets what wants, as he puts the forensic evidence together and tries to get into the killer's dark mind. But then again, time was running out fast and besides this, he also had to deal with his girlfriend, Rebecca who recovered from a brutal rape and it wasn't easy for any of them.

The Treatment is a dark and intense story, filled with suspense and at times, horror. Mo Hayder has succeeded in weaving an unforgettable crime thriller, and as I flipped through the pages I was very eager to find out about the real killer, which the author has kept it from her readers until nearing to the end of the book. Even after I had finished the story and closed the book with satisfactory that I have learnt the truth, I still have that 'wow' feeling. Not surprisingly, this is a keeper and will be shortlisted for my Book of the Year this year.
10 Responses
  1. Julia Says:

    Sound like you had a very fantastic thrilling reading with this book :) Great review


  2. Jane Says:

    Wow that sounds good! I think I will be adding that to my wishlist! Great review!


  3. Ladytink_534 Says:

    Sounds good. I think I might have heard about this before somewhere.


  4. Melody Says:

    Hi Julia! I have a great time reading this! I hope you will read Mo Hayder's books one day... ;)

    Hey Jaimie! It IS good!!! LOL. I'm hoping you will read it soon.

    Hi Jen! Does that mean you will pick up this book? Hehe... I can't wait to read her new release, Ritual which I think will be out in March in HC.


  5. Alice Says:

    It's on my wishlist now, Melody. Thanks for the wonderful review. :)


  6. Melody Says:

    Thanks, Alice! Hope you will enjoy reading it. :)


  7. Debi Says:

    Oh, you definitely sold me! Sounds fabulous! I've never read anything by her before, but it definitely sounds right up my alley. Thanks Melody!


  8. Melody Says:

    Hey Debi! This book is GREAT, at least IMO. ;) I hope you will read it soon.


  9. I wish I wasn't so book heavy right now. I sooooo want to read this right this very minute. Of course, I have to read the other book first. What a great review, Melody. I probably won't get to either book this year, but wouldn't it be nice if I could fit them in? I sure hope so!


  10. Melody Says:

    Thanks, Wendy! I'm hoping you will be done with your other books soon... there are so many books to read, and yet so little time!


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.