Melody



ISBN-10: 0340840323
ISBN-13: 978-0340840320
Publisher: Hodder Paperback; New Ed edition (24 Aug 2006)
368pp



Alice Fancourt is excited about being a new mother. But when she finds her baby girl, Florence has gone missing from the cot and instead replaced by a nearly identical baby, she gets hysterical. However her husband, David thinks she is hallucinating and suffering from post-natal depression and brushed off her remarks.

But what most scary is, Alice thinks David is responsible in this in a way. She knows she has no reason to suspect him, but still she couldn't understand about the death of his first wife, Laura Cryer and thought he was upset when she brought up this subject from the beginning. She has dismissed it and thought he was upset then. Then again, there is Vivienne, her mother-in-law who wants the best of everything for her since the day she walked into David's life. She felt flattered at first, but what if there is an ulterior motive behind her kind gesture?

No one seems to believe Alice, except DC Simon Waterhouse who has a soft spot for her. But Waterhouse has his own issues too, for his superior DS "Charlie" Zailer has had a major crush on him and thinks he is overeacting with Alice's case. But when the baby and Alice disappear, Charlie begins to look into the case seriously....

Sophie Hannah weaved a taut and suspenseful thriller in Little Face. Readers will be enticed in this story through her two narrative voices - Alice as her own and Simon through a third person. While reading this book, I often wondered to myself if there was more to Laura Cryer's death, or was it simply an abduction case? As the story slowly unfolds, I realized that there is more than meets the eyes, and didn't see the twist coming until towards the end. It was a fascinating read. I can't wait to read her latest release, Hurting Distance which I have it in my TBR pile.
18 Responses
  1. Alice Says:

    This one sounds intriguing, Melody. It goes into my wishlist for now. :D


  2. Melody Says:

    Great, Alice! I hope you will read it soon. :)


  3. Debi Says:

    Great review, Melody! I MUST have this one...sounds excellent!


  4. Melody Says:

    Thanks, Debi! I can't wait to read what you think of this book after you have read it. ;D


  5. Iliana Says:

    I read A Hurting Distance and unfortunately I didn't like it too much. I think she had a great premise and kept a lot of suspense but somehow there was a connection missing for me with the characters. However, I'd read another book of hers because I think there is a lot of potential. This one sounds good so I'll keep an eye out for it.


  6. Ladytink_534 Says:

    While reading your review I thought at first maybe the mom is nuts but once I got to the end I'm not so sure. This sure sounds like it would be a good one!


  7. Melody Says:

    Hi Iliana, thanks for telling me your opinion. Not sure when I will read Hurting Distance though but will let you know my thoughts after reading it. ;)

    Hi Jen! This story is intriguing. I'm hoping you will read it too.


  8. Jane Says:

    That is a scary premise! This story sounds like a great thriller! I may be putting this on my wish list. Thanks for the review!


  9. Melody Says:

    Thank you, Jaimie. It was a great read IMO. I'm looking forward to reading your review if you have the chance to read it. ;)


  10. Melanie Says:

    That book sounds excellent. You certainly have me interested in reading it!

    I've added you to the Blogaholics Anonymous Blogroll. Welcome to the club! Livin' With Me


  11. Melody Says:

    Thank you, Melanie! :)


  12. Carey Says:

    Your review is great. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy. I am just finishing Keith Donahues "The Stolen Child". The premise of the books are similar - child replaced by identical copy. "Little Face" sounds more suspenseful, which I love. Thanks for the great review.


  13. Ladytink_534 Says:

    It will be awhile before I'm able to even think about adding more to my TBR pile!


  14. Melody Says:

    Hi Carey! Thanks for visiting my blog. :) I have not heard of Keith Donahues but it sounds interesting too. Will have to check it out. Thanks again.

    Hey Jen! I have the same thoughts but in the end the temptation always win, LOL.


  15. Anonymous Says:

    Wow, that sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for the great review.
    Stephanie
    www.thewrittenword.wordpress.com


  16. Melody Says:

    Hi Stephanie! Thank you for your kind comments. And also thanks for visiting my blog. :) I hope you will drop by more often.


  17. I've added this to my wish list, Melody. It sounds so good! Thanks for the great review.


  18. Melody Says:

    Wendy, thank you! I'm hoping you will enjoy it as much as I do if you have managed to get the book. :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.