Melody





ISBN-13: 9780380807345
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers, 162pp
Pub. Date: August 2003




I absolutely love this story! And I don't care if this story is meant for the children/YA. I just love it! Neil Gaiman is such a talented fantasy writer. It is no wonder there are so many readers (regardless of young or mature) love reading his books.

Coraline often wonders if her parents truly love her, because they seem so busy about their work. She is bored with her life until a day she stumbles upon a locked door in the drawing room. She managed to get it open with her mother's help, but to her disappointment it reveals only a brick wall. She is very curious about this door, so she tries again another day and finally she sees something different this time. Inside the room it reveals a passageway which leads to another place. That place looks exactly like her home, but she could feel something's strange about it.

Later she gets to meet her "other" parents in this place; they look exactly like her own parents except they have creepy black button eyes and they appear to be move loving to her. However, Coraline begins to realize that her "other" parents are being possessive, and at this time her real parents are under their hands and Coraline has to think of a way to get her real parents back. Coraline then made a deal with her "other" mother, and that is if she managed to find her real parents, all of them will be released, otherwise Coraline will have to be with her "other" parents forever.

So Coraline begins her nightmarish task, with the help of a cat and a stone she received from her neighbours earlier. Towards the end of the story, she even came up with a clever plan to be rid of her "other" mother.

I started reading this book last evening and finished it early this morning, not because it is an easy read but because the story is so exciting! Neil Gaiman has delivered a great creepy story that will stay in my mind for some time. And another thing I like about this book is there are some illustrations (by Dave McKean) that makes this story so much interesting and intriguing. I will definitely check out his other books (and this includes the children's fictions).

Other Bloggers' reviews:
1MoreChapter
Bold.Blue.Adventure
Hello, My Name Is Alice
Stephanie's Confessions of a Book-a-holic
The Hidden Side of s Leaf

15 Responses
  1. Julia Says:

    I can tell you enjoy the book. Although I'm bit confuse about the story hehee.

    Great review by the way :)


  2. Melody Says:

    Yes, I really enjoyed the story. :) Oh dear, that shows my review didn't do this book justice! My apologies to everyone.


  3. Darla Says:

    Oooh, thanks for the reminder. I need to steal this one from my younger son and read it. He knew I liked Neil Gaiman, so he got it from the library at school, and liked it so much he asked me to buy him a copy of his own.... Wonder where he put it??


  4. Debi Says:

    I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Melody! I found it to be perfectly delightful, too!


  5. Melody Says:

    LOL. I hope you will find the book soon, Darla! :)

    Hey Debi! Yes, I enjoyed it very much. It's a keeper. :D


  6. Booklogged Says:

    Loved this one, too. And I love your blog. It's very classy.


  7. Melody Says:

    Hi Booklogged! Thanks for your kind comments. I hope you will drop by often! :)


  8. Great review, Melody! I haven't yet read this one, but I plan to. I am glad you enjoyed it.


  9. Melody Says:

    Hi Wendy! Thanks. I hope you will read this soon. My two thumbs up for its originality. :)


  10. Alice Says:

    Now you make me want to read this. I love children's books. I don't care and I will still read them. :D


  11. Melody Says:

    You've to read this, Alice! It's really a great read!!! :D


  12. Anonymous Says:

    I'm looking forward to reading this next year finally. Randomly I think it was my mum that bought it for me!


  13. Melody Says:

    Hey Rhinoa! You will enjoy this! Can't wait to hear your thoughts though...


  14. 1morechapter Says:

    I loved this as well. I like how you have a "best of" shortlist already!

    Michelle
    http://1morechapter.com


  15. Melody Says:

    Hi Michelle! Thanks for visiting!
    Yes, Coraline will be shortlisted for my 'Book of the Year'. I think I will have a hard time to choose from the shortlisted pile because most of them are so good!!! ;)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.