Melody
Thanks to Melissa, now I have found Cafe Writing - another great site that will help with my writing...

Here is my entry for the October Project:

Option Five: Pick Three

Pick at least three of the following eight words, and write a paragraph, essay or poem using them. It’s fine to change tenses, or pluralize if you have to, but please bold the words you chose.

dream, weed, spirit, listen, crisp, shallow, tenuous, mischievous









Frogs

I was pulling the weeds at my backyard in the crisp October morning when I heard a scream. I paused and listened, but there was nothing but the rustling sound of the dry leaves as the wind blew them across the cement pathway, and a mischievous squirrel scurrying on a tree branch after it noticed my head jerked towards its direction.

“I must be dreaming and hearing things,” I told myself and went back to pulling the weeds. Just when I decided to brush the thoughts away, I could hear the scream again and it was louder this time.

I dropped my gardening tool and stood up. It was time for an investigation. I was outside the gate of my house when I saw Madeline, my neighbour’s child holding an empty bottle in her hands. Her face looked hot and flushed to me.

“What happened, Madeline? You seem to be in a high spirits,” I said.

“It’s Jason, Aunt Cherie! He’s scaring people with his frogs!” Madeline pointed towards her house’s backyard. Jason was her seven-year-old elder brother.

“And what are you holding on your hand? I suppose you’re his accomplice?” I teased.

“No! He wants to put those little frogs into this bottle, but I refused! They'll surely suffocate in it,” She held the bottle tightly against her chest as if she was worried that I would snatch it away from her and gave it to Jason.

“I promise you I won’t do anything. Now will you lead the way and show me where Jason is?” I asked.

She hesitated for a few seconds and finally nodded her head.

She led me towards their backyard and I could see a shallow pond with murky waters. There wasn’t even a trace of a frog and Jason was nowhere to be seen.

“Where’s Jason?” I asked, looking around.

“That’s strange. He’s here just now,” Madeline was puzzled too about his sudden disappearance.

Then I felt something wet and spongy brushed against my naked toes. I looked down and saw there were five frogs at my feet. At that moment, I wished I had worn a pair of boots instead of a pair of flip-flops because I had a phobia with frogs since I was younger and unfortunately it didn’t go away as years went by.

I couldn’t help it; it was my turn to scream this time.

(END)

Note: Cheesy eh? But that's me because I'm really scared of frogs, hehe...

PS: This also can be found on my new writing blog.

8 Responses
  1. MissMeliss Says:

    Great story! And you're all linked.

    -- Melissa


  2. Melody Says:

    Thanks for the linking, Melissa!


  3. Alice Says:

    That's a CUTE story, Melody! LOL.


  4. Melody Says:

    Gee...thanks, Alice! ;) While writing that story, I think of nothing else but frogs, LOL!


  5. Becca Says:

    I would scream too - don't like frogs!!

    Great story :)


  6. Melody Says:

    Thanks for visiting and reading my short story, Becca! :)


  7. Cmate Says:

    I enjoyed this story... my second time reading it. Haha! Okay, I am weird, I can read the same post like more than once... totally blog-reader man!


  8. Melody Says:

    Hi Cmate! Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed reading it. No, you aren't weird, I think I do that sometimes myself, hehe.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.