Melody



ISBN-13: 9780143112303
Publisher: Penguin Group (USA), 272pp
Pub. Date: May 2007


I picked up this book after reading Kim Edward's bestselling phenomenal The Memory Keeper's Daughter. I really enjoyed reading that book, and I liked it so much that I have shortlisted for my Book of the Year 2007.

There are a total of eleven short stories in The Secrets of a Fire King. Here in this fine collection, Kim Edwards has once again touches the readers' hearts through her well-crafted stories where she takes us around the world through the stories settings. Each story has a love element to it; and what I enjoyed about Kim Edwards' works is she managed to make the stories seemed to be a reality through her engaging characters, and of course not to mention her poetic prose through her writing. Some of her stories are thought-provoking; and my favourite was The Secrets of a Fire King, where coincidentally she has chosen this for the title as well. It is about a young performer (the protagonist who called himself a fire-eater) who gets involved in a love quadrangle and that one of them is a revival preacher. I was really intrigued by this story and the ending has really took me by surprise.

I would highly recommend this book if you don't mind reading short stories that is.
4 Responses
  1. Alice Says:

    Glad to know that you've enjoyed the book, Melody! I kept bumping into the book at the bookstores but didn't get it because it was er... short stories. Perhaps, one of these days I will...


  2. I picked up a copy of this book after having finished Memory Keeper's Daughter, but you are way ahead of me in already reading it. :-) I am so glad you enjoyed this book of short stories. That's good news! I look forward to reading it!


  3. Ladytink_534 Says:

    Sounds good. I still haven't gotten around to reading Memory Keeper's Dauhghter though.


  4. Melody Says:

    Alice, I'm hoping you will pick up this book one day. Though the stories are short, but they are a great read IMO. :)

    Wendy, go read the book! LOL. I'm a great fan of novels as well as anthologies and short stories.

    Jen, you should try reading The Memory Keeper's Daughter if you have the chance. I really enjoyed it, and I hope you will too if you do pick it up. ;)

    MERRY CHRISTMAS to all!!! :D


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.