Melody

Musing Mondays

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about movies …

How do you react to movies made of your favourite books (or even not-so-favourite books)? Do you look forward to seeing them, or avoid them? Do you like to have read the book before seeing the movie?

I rarely watch movies, not because I do not like them but I can hardly find the time with my work, family and all! However, I do visit the cinemas once in a while and I am choosy over the movies I want to watch because it would be a waste of time and money if I did not do a little 'research' prior to watching (I google a little about the movie and read the reviews from papers and magazines). Sometimes, it would be a movie my husband wanted to watch and I will go along to keep him company (ended up I loved Iron Man, all the Batman and Spiderman sequels and a few others that I could not think of at the moment).

So what do I feel about movies made of the books I read? Generally, I welcome them! I think it is a great way in influencing the non-readers into reading the books after watching the film adaptations, but personally I am also worried that they would not live up to the expectations as we did in books. And another thing is, you would not get the details as much as you read the book so that is another issue I believe we all have with film adaptations.

Here are a list of some of the books I read before and after watching the movies:

  • My Sister's Keeper (book first, movie to look forward to)
  • The Twilight Saga (books first, movies second)
  • The Harry Potter series (movies first, books second)
  • The Lord of the Rings series (movies first, books to look forward to)
  • The Devil Wears Prada (movie first, book in my TBR pile)
  • P.S. I Love You (book first, movie to look forward to)
  • The Kite Runner (book first, movie to look forward to)
  • The Other Boleyn Girl (book first, movies second)
  • Revolutionary Road (book first, movie to look forward to)
  • The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (book first, movie to look forward to)
  • Atonement (book first, movie second)

I am sure there are a few others but my memory has failed me so I am thinking the above list will do.

What about you?

17 Responses
  1. Yvonne Says:

    I read My Sister's Keeper a long time ago, but haven't seen the movie yet. I will, though.

    I already saw the movie Twilight but have the books in my TBR. Movie was okay, but I'm told I'll enjoy the books much more.

    I saw The Devil Wears Prada, but the book is somewhere in my TBR.

    I read P.S. I Love You, then saw the movie - I thought the book was better.

    I have both the book and the movie of Revolutionary Road to look forward to. It looks great.


  2. Sandy Nawrot Says:

    I prefer to read the books first, but my good intentions don't always work out. Often, a movie's bad casting will totally ruin the book for me!


  3. Molly Says:

    I rarely watch movies as well, for the exact same reasons as you mentioned. IF I spend the money to go to a theater, I want to be ensured that I will love the movie (too much movie to go and only like it) and I tend to choose comedies.

    I do use movies in the classroom, however, to watch after we have read a novel. I like the students (and myself) to read the book first and use our own imaginations before viewing the director's interpretation.


  4. You might change my mind about movies on books. I like your list.

    Mondays: Musings/Whereabouts

    Kill Word Verification


  5. Susan Says:

    I usually like to read the book first if I can. Unfortunately, by the time they introduce a movie, there are usually 50+ holds on the book at my library. So I have to decide if I will buy the book and read it before the movie, or if I'll just have to wait.

    Here's my musing...


  6. Ana S. Says:

    To be honest, if I really love the book I sometimes dread the movie version a little bit. I know I should take them as two separate things, but I have a hard time doing that :P I like that movies always lead new readers to the books they're based on, though.


  7. I love movies almost as much as I love books and am always eager to see the movie translation of a book I've read. It's a given that a book will be better in my mind, but I am usually able to separate out the two mediums and enjoy them for themselves even while making comparisons.

    Sometimes I'll enjoy a movie, but have no interest in reading the book it is based on. However, if I've read the book, I most definitely want to see the movie translation.

    While I prefer reading a book before seeing the movie, it doesn't always work out that way--and that's okay. Sometimes I do prefer seeing the movie first--especially if it'll help me better understand what I'm reading. Like Shakespeare, for example.


  8. I liked your list. I'd definately recommend My Sister's Keeper - it held up to the movie far better than I thought it would.

    As for P.S. I Love You, I think the book was far better, however my cousin (we read it for bookclub) feels otherwise. I guess it just depends.


  9. Anonymous Says:

    I have read all except your last 3 entries, because I was able to just watch Atonement.

    Yes, you'll love the Twilight series books more! :)


  10. caite Says:

    I'm not a great fan of movies from books. I think they usually fall short...


  11. Melody Says:

    Yvonne - Thanks so much for sharing, Yvonne! I really look forward to those movies you mentioned (except The Devil Wears Prada since I've watched it), if only I can find some time! ;)

    Sandy - Oh yes! The cast plays an important factor too! I forget to mention that! :P

    Molly - I love your idea! I think it makes for a good discussion between the books and the movies.

    Gautami - Thanks! I'm glad to hear that! ;)

    Susan - I'm like you too, haha.

    Nymeth - Me too! I couldn't help comparing the books and the movies, though I know I shouldn't! :P

    Wendy - Great points! I can definitely relate to some of them! :)

    Rebecca - I'll make sure to bring some tissues if I'm going to watch My Sister's Keeper! It's an emotional read!

    Judy - I loved Atonement! Having read the book first has definitely help me in understanding the movie! ;)

    Caite - I've to admit some of them are disappointing. Still, I'm a curious person so I want to watch the movies based on the books I read. ;)


  12. Alice Says:

    Hi Melody! I've read most of the books here and watched some of the HP movies.

    Generally, between the book and the movie, I like the book more. :D


  13. Sometimes I'll watch a movie after reading the book and wonder how others who haven't read the book can understand what's going on! I remember thinking that with The Other Boleyn Girl when the husband just disappears from the movie with no explanation.

    I generally don't like movies as much as the book, but I usually still go see the movie! And sometimes if a movie preview looks good I'll just read the book instead.

    Fun question this week! (ps--I loved Iron Man, too). :)


  14. Melody Says:

    Alice - I'll definitely choose the books as compared to the film adaptations. But then, I think it's kinda fun to compare them even though I know I shouldn't! :P

    Trish - Ah, The Other Boleyn Girl! I loved the book! I remember explaining some scenes to my husband while watching the movie and I'm so glad I read the book first, haha.


  15. i have read Harry potter first then seen the movies - i like it that way.
    See PS. I Love you, but not read the book.
    Read Kite Runner, but never seen the movie! Seen Lord of the Rings, but never read the series!

    then i need to see

    Twilight
    Memoirs of a Geisha
    Kite Runner
    many MORE!

    :)

    I liked this one!


  16. Anonymous Says:

    I have the same preference to all the movies you mentioned except may be P.S I love you. I loved the movie more :)


  17. Ceri Says:

    That's a really great attitude to take towards film adaptations. I used to hate the watching films of books I really enjoyed but now I take a different approach altogether.

    The author, John Green, always talks about looking at a book and a film as two seperate things and they don't ever really change the beauty of either.

    I think he's totally right. :-) I look at a film and book as two people's version of the same story, two people's interpretation of it. I definitely enjoy films much more now. :-D


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.