Melody
ISBN: 9780545123266
Publisher: Scholastic, Inc
Published: August 2009
400 pgs



When Grace was a child, she was attacked by a pack of wolves but she was saved and protected by one yellow-eyed wolf. Though she was bitten, she was fortunate to live but from that day onwards, she is obsessed with the wolves and is always on the look out for her yellow-eyed wolf.

Several years later, Grace, who is now seventeen, is still feeling sentimental towards that particular wolf which she call her own. Her two best friends, Rachel and Olivia think she is insane, but she just could not help herself. When a boy from school was killed by the wolves, everyone living in Mercy Falls is terrified and a hunting party for the wolves begins. Worried that her wolf might be killed, Grace tries to stop the hunt, and later found an injured naked boy at her doorstep. She knew he is her wolf because of his eyes, and this begins their romantic relationship.

During her care for Sam (that is his name), she knew a lot of things about him, including about his shapeshifting experience and how warmer temperature would make him stay human and vice versa. She also get to know more about a few members of the pack and why Sam respect and admire Beck (one of the senior pack who took him under his wings) so much.

Though their relationship is sweet and romantic, they knew it would be a short-lived one because Sam would not remain human for long (it seems there is a limited span) and he would shapeshift into wolf form if there is a drop in the temperature. And this made them appreciate every moment they spend together; and given her parents' hectic schedules and the freedom they gave her, it makes everything easy having Sam to stay with her without much scrutiny.

It is towards the middle of the story that the plot thickens, whereby Jack (the 'dead' boy who was killed by the wolves) returns and he wants to find a cure for this. Adding thrills to the plot is the disappearance of her best friend Olivia and also, finding ways for Sam and Jack to be a human again (by the way, have you ever wonder why Grace did not change despite the bite?), thus that is a clue they have to find out.

Written in alternative first person narrative between Grace and Sam, Shiver is an engaging love story between a girl and a werewolf boy, and the friends surrounding them. Maggie Stiefvater's prose is simple yet lyrical and beautifully written.

She waited to change, and I waited to change, and we both wanted what we couldn't have. (Pg 343)

The above passage simply tells the longing Grace and Sam felt for each other, and it just made me ache for them. The author has also done a great job in creating the wintry atmosphere, and the pace for suspense is right without overtaking the romance. Overall, Shiver is an enjoyable read and one that offers a fresh perspective on the werewolves clan which is so different from the others. I think this might also appeal to the fans of the Twilight Saga since the quality of the romance is somewhat similiar. And oh, did I mention that there will be a sequel (Linger) and it is to be released Fall 2010? I cannot wait. I hope the cover design will be as pretty as Shiver.


Other reviews:
Angieville
AS
Book Reviews by Jess
Chick Lit Teens
Fantastic Book Review
Harmony Book Reviews
Jen Robinson's Book Page
Karin's Book Nook
Presenting Lenore
The Book Smugglers
The Book Vault
The Reading Zone
The Well-Read Child
Today's Adventure
(Let me know if I missed yours.)

18 Responses
  1. Veens Says:

    That's actually a very nice plot! I like .. I like! I will put this one into my wish-List :)

    Awesome review!


  2. Anonymous Says:

    I have been wanting to read this book. It does sound awesome. I loved the romance in Twilight, so I'm sure I'll love this. Glad to know you liked this too.


  3. Melody Says:

    Veens - Thanks! I'm glad you're adding this book to your wishlist! :)

    Violet - I'm sure you'll enjoy this! I can't wait to hear what you'll think of this book when you get to it.


  4. Ceri Says:

    I really want to read this - I keep hearing good things but I wasn't a big fan of the first Twilight book (haven't read the 3rd or 4th yet) so it makes me wonder whether I'll enjoy this. I think I'll end up taking a chance though. :-)

    A really well-written review, Mel.


  5. Alice Says:

    Sounds good, this one! I'm keeping this in the wish list. :)


  6. mariel Says:

    Sounds good! I'm a sucker for wolf related stories, one of my favourite animals! I'll have to look this one up. Great review, thanks.


  7. Jeane Says:

    Ooh, I so want to read this now! I never heard of it, or the author, before. Thanks for the review.


  8. Iliana Says:

    Great review, Melody! I love that cover too - isn't it pretty? I realize that when it comes to more fantasy novels I'll read about vampires but honestly I can't remember reading anything about werewolves. At least not as the main characters. I think I need to remedy that and need to put this one on my list :)


  9. Ana S. Says:

    I'm afraid the Twilight comparison might have scared me away ;) (I'll run and hide now :P)


  10. Beth F Says:

    I like wolves, so I know I'll be reading it soon.


  11. The Bookworm Says:

    This sounds so good! I need to add it to my TBR.
    Great review.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  12. Andreea Says:

    I've heard of this one! Sounds good. Thanks for this great review!


  13. Andreea Says:

    You’ve been tagged to participate in a fun meme. If you have time, stop by:)


  14. Anonymous Says:

    This book does sound interesting....a bit like Beauty and the Beast. :)


  15. Julia Says:

    Great review, Melody! And I see that you like the book as much. I have to admit though, there were a TV sigment documentary of a werewolf guy who married a girl and had baby. It was strange, but he seem to be a really nice guy


  16. S. Krishna Says:

    I'm so glad you enjoyed this one. I definitely want to read it. Great review!


  17. bermudaonion Says:

    I looked at this in the bookstore yesterday and then came to my senses and realized I had no business buying any more books until I reduce my TBR pile. We'll see how long that lasts.


  18. Melody Says:

    Ceri - Thanks! The premise is so much different from the Twilight Saga so I'm hoping you'd give this a try! :)

    Alice - I'm glad you're adding this book to your wishlist! :D

    Mariel - I'm a sucker for wolf related stories too!

    Jeane - I hope you'll enjoy it when you get to it!

    Iliana - I don't think I've read many books on werewolves cast as the main characters. I'm glad I found it in Shiver! :)

    Nymeth - Oh, please don't hide! I promise you they're different in so many ways! :P

    Beth - I can't wait to hear what you'll think of it!

    Naida - Thanks! I'm glad you're adding this book to your wishlist as well! :)

    Andreea - Thanks! I'll try to post the answers for the meme ASAP. :)

    Matt - LOL. Yes, that's a great comparison! ;)

    Julia - I didn't know that werewolves do exist! Thanks for sharing.

    Swapna - I hope you'll enjoy the book as much as I did.

    Kathy - LOL. I can't stop myself from buying books! I tried, but I can't! :P


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.