Melody
ISBN-13: 9781596912885
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA
Published: June 2009
352 pgs



I was first introduced to Shannon Hale's work after reading two of her YA novels: The Goose Girl and Enna Burning. Oh, how I loved these books! So after reading them, I had to rush out to buy the rest of her books.

The Actor and the Housewife is one of her adult books that I am most looking forward to so I was beyond thrilled when Bloomsbury sent me a copy for review!

Before I start writing my thoughts about this book, I want to ask you a question: Do you believe in a platonic relationship between a man and a woman? And what happens if he is a celebrity heart-throb and you are a ... well, an ordinary housewife?

When mormon housewife Becky Jack is seven months pregnant with her fourth child, she meets British celebrity heart-throb Felix Callahan when she is going to seal a deal for a script she has written. From there, they exchanged a few witty remarks and after Felix gave Becky a lift and a drink later, they then found out they clicked and a friendship is born!

However, their relationship is an awkward one because not only their life is so different from each other but also of their marital status. Felix is happily married to French model Celeste Bodine and though she does not seem to have any problem with the issue, Becky on the other hand is worried that she might hurt her husband Mike in a way and she assures him that there is nothing going on between her and Felix. She loves him as a best friend and that is about it.

Though there is no romantic love between Felix and Becky, there is something quite special and unusual about their friendship for one party will feel something is amiss if there is no news from the other party. Mike couldn't help that he gets jealous, and this led Becky to take a deep look into her relationship with Felix and wonder if she could have the best of both worlds without hurting anyone along the process.

I had a wonderful reading experience with The Actor and the Housewife because it is both funny and heartwarming. The love between Becky and Mike is so strong that it melts my heart after reading all the things that happened between them. This book had made me laugh, giggle and cry. There are also a few scenes that are extremely emotional but I am not going there to spoil it for you.

As for Felix and Becky, I would think that things would be different if they have met each other earlier but the point is, can a man and a woman remains the best of friends forever? Reading the last few chapters was like a roller coaster ride to me because of the anticipation. In the end, I mulled over the ending and think, that is it. I suppose it depends on how one reader look at it, and that is all I can say about it.

So what do I think of The Actor and the Housewife? I think it is a refreshing and charming tale of a platonic relationship and I do think there is a slight fantasy wisp to it on a certain aspect. And yes, I enjoyed reading it!


Other reviews:
Book Nut
Books and Movies
Maw Books Blog
The Bluestocking Society
(Let me know if I have missed yours.)

19 Responses
  1. JessicaLeigh Says:

    This sounds like such a cute story! I'm so glad you liked it. :)


  2. Sandy Nawrot Says:

    My daughter has read some of Hale's YA novels, but I've never read anything adult. This sounds like a great book. I totally believe in friendships between a man and a woman. One of my best friends is a guy! Many times, there is underlying sexual tension, but when it is truly platonic, its a wonderful thing.


  3. Anonymous Says:

    Her YA books are on my wishlist. I'm glad that you enjoyed this bokk Melody, love the cover, very attractive :)


  4. Beth F Says:

    I just skimmed because I have this in my TBR -- but I'm so glad to know that you liked it. Can't wait to get to it now.


  5. Jess Says:

    Thanks for the great review -- I am really looking forward to reading this.


  6. Iliana Says:

    This really sounds cute. I've been meaning to read something by Shannon Hale forever now but you know how that goes.


  7. Melody Says:

    Jessica - Yes! I had a great time reading this book!

    Sandy - I think it's cool to be best friends with a guy! It's great having a guy's perspective sometimes!

    Violet - I love the cover too!

    Beth - Great! I look forward to reading your thoughts on it soon!

    Jess - I hope you'll enjoy it if you get to it. :)

    Iliana - LOL. I totally understand... I've a few of those moments too! :P


  8. Alice Says:

    I still have 3 of Shannon Hale's books in my TBR for the 999 challenge. :D

    Thanks for the review. :)


  9. Kim L Says:

    Glad you liked it! I've seen plenty of buzz about this one, but it seems like such a strange premise... not sure what to think about it. I might have to give it a try though!


  10. Melody Says:

    Alice - I look forward to your reviews on Shannon's books soon! I'd recommend reading The Goose Girl first! :P

    Kim - It does have a strange premise but I like the originality of it. :)


  11. The Bookworm Says:

    This one does sound good, great review!
    I do think men and women can have platonic relationships. Even if he is a celebrity heart-throb :O)

    I need to read Goose Girl and I'm adding this one to my wish list.

    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  12. Melody Says:

    Naida - I'm glad you're adding this book to your wishlist! I hope you'll enjoy this book as well as The Goose Girl! :)


  13. This sounds like another fun one, Melody. I do think men and women can have a platonic relationship, but I also think that the spouse's feelings about it should be considered too to some extent.


  14. Ceri Says:

    I like the idea of this. I might just check it out too. :-D


  15. Melody Says:

    Wendy - I think so too, Wendy!

    Lady Lazarus - I hope you'll like it if you get to it. :)


  16. Stephanie Says:

    I love Shannon Hale and am looking forward to reading this book soon!


  17. Anonymous Says:

    I have read her Goose Girl books but not tried her fiction yet. It's good to hear that it is just as good as her young adult fantasy series.


  18. I still haven't read any Hale books so I've been really curious about this. I think I'll either start here or Austenland. You pose an interesting question and I think my all-time favorite movie answers the question the best...NO (When Harry Met Sally). I used to have mostly guy friends but it's too hard to be *just friends* when you're in a separate relationship. But who knows. Maybe it works for other people? Too me it just causes too many complications. I think there is one party who always wants more...but maybe not?


  19. Melody Says:

    Stephanie - I hope you'll enjoy it when you get to it.

    Rhinoa - This is the first adult book I read by her and definitely not the last!

    Trish - I need to read Austenland soon! It's been sitting around for ages, LOL.

    I see your point about the relationship problem. It sure can get confusing... but I suppose to each his own.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.