Melody

Musing Mondays

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about book covers (again)…

Do you feel disappointed when the cover’s don’t match the story? Have you ever been completely misled by a book cover?

If you had read my answer to last week's musing, you would have known that I also mentioned about how some covers do not match the stories. So when Rebecca, the hostess of Musing Mondays asked if she could use this subject for the next MM's question, I said yes because I wonder if book covers will influence a buyer to purchase the books at one point, and what happens if that person found out that the cover do not match the story?

For me, I won't buy a book not without reading the book blurb, with the exception of the authors I am familiar with and that I know I will like their books. However, they are also situations that I will buy a book based on the covers itself, for instance, mangas. So have I ever been misled by a book cover? Yes, I do, but not to an extent that it made me think negatively of the book (after all, contents is what most matters). Personally, I think books which featured models tend to have more mixed reactions as compared to other subjects because readers might portray him/her being the characters of the story and it might lead to a misunderstanding or a confusion if their image do not fit the characters. Thus, this is the reason why I do not care about movie tie-in covers as compared to the original covers.

What about you?

17 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    If I had to answer this question, it would be exactly similar to yours :)


  2. bermudaonion Says:

    I have been misled by a book cover, but I don't think it's really disappointed me. I often wonder why publishers don't pay more attention to book covers.


  3. Debi Says:

    You know I cant' really think of an instance when I've been mislead by a cover. But I despise covers with models on them!


  4. Sandy Nawrot Says:

    A cover will cause me to pick up a book, but I have to find some redeemeable plot on the dust jacket to buy it. That said, I've still had some disappointments!


  5. Jeane Says:

    I've been annoyed before, when the cover didn't really match the story, but I don't base my buying habits on covers, so that's okay.


  6. The Bookworm Says:

    I dont like it when a cover doesnt match the storyline. And I tend not to like movie tie-in covers too.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  7. She Says:

    Thank you so much for the comment! I agree with what you say about content over cover, but it is always nice to have an awesome cover! ;)

    Your blog template is really cute, too. It reminds me of a coffee shop near my school.

    -She


  8. Ana S. Says:

    I completely agree about covers with models and movie tie-ins!


  9. eel Says:

    That's a really good point about having models/actresses on the book cover! I'd never actually thought of it before, but I agree with you---it can and does influence how the characters are imagined.

    I love your layout, by the way. (=

    xoxo Sissy


  10. Keri Says:

    Hey Melody, I have an award for you! Come pick it up at my blog!


  11. Melody Says:

    Violet - Glad we share the same sentiments. :)

    Kathy - Book covers are definitely important in some ways!

    Debi - I thought I'm the only one who'd despise covers with models on them, hehe. :P

    Sandy - Ditto!

    Jeane - I'm the same too.

    Naida - Some movie tie-in covers are lovely, but still they can't compare to the original copies IMO.

    She, Sissy - Thank you, ladies! :)

    Nymeth - Glad you think so too! :P

    Keri - Thanks for the award, Keri! :)


  12. If given the choice I'll choose the original covers over the movie tie-ins, but it doesn't make a difference. I judge a cover when I'm buying books (sometimes), but I don't think I've ever thought--wow, this cover doesn't go with the book at all! :) Fun question.


  13. Melody Says:

    Trish - I'm all for the original covers! LOL. If a book came with two versions, I'd usually go for the more attractive ones. :P


  14. caite Says:

    I hate movie tie-in covers. It is so limiting. but then I often dislike the movies of books I like too...lol


  15. Julia Says:

    I like original covers too! And..Melody - you know me, I tend to get a little annoyed when the front cover doesn't match the inside story *grin*


  16. Melody Says:

    Julia - I know what you mean. :P


  17. Alice Says:

    I don't mind any cover. I had bought MTI books and one of them was Nights in Rodanthe with Richard Gere on the cover...


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.