Melody
ISBN-13: 9780765360410
Publisher: Doherty, Tom Associates, LLC
Published: April 2009
Marked Series, #1




Evangeline Hollis is an interior designer, but a casual fling with a hunky stranger made her a Mark of Cain - a celestial bounty hunter charged with sending rogue demons and other Infernals back to hell. This she has herself to blame because the mysterious man reminds so much of her long ago crush, Alec Cain. Eve encountered Alec ten years ago and they were very much attracted to each other, but Alec had no intention of having her until now.

However, Eve is no longer the fresh young girl he met decades ago and now that she has become a Mark of Cain, she has to destroy the evil infernals and fight for survival not that she could help it. To complicate matters, she feels herself trapped between siblings Alec and Reed; the latter being the one who had marked her initially.

What I had expected to be an exciting urban fantasy with a kick-butt heroine became a great disappointment to me because I find there is not much actions going on except the beginning of the first few chapters, and also that it emphasize too much on the relationship between Eve and the two brothers who does not see eye to eye with each other. At some point, I wonder if there are too much attention on the trio and wonder if it would read as a romance instead, but then I think the elaboration helps in a way in describing the complicated relationship between them and so forth. There are also some sexual references so I do not recommend this book to young readers.

All in all, I think Eve of Darkness has an interesting concept featuring a team of bounty hunters, Archangels and demons but I did not find myself being hooked to the plot or care for the characters. Eve is an interesting character, but at times I find her contradicting. I also have questions regarding her being a marked one but I suppose there might be some answers explained during the sequels?

Another thing that puzzles me is the genre of this book; I do not know if this is classified as an urban fantasy or a paranormal romance since I found it under the fantasy section but it read like the latter.

Nevertheless, I have the other two installments, Eve of Destruction and Eve of Chaos in my pile but I have no idea when to read them next but please do not let my opinions deter you from reading this book though.

Other reviews:
(Let me know if I have missed yours.)
17 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    So does she really run around hunting demons in her bra and an open shirt? ;-)


  2. Melody Says:

    Jill - LOL! What do you think? :P


  3. Julia Says:

    I'm sorry that you feel disappointed with the book, Melody. I have heard so much about these series and was tempted to get the first book. After reading your review, even though I am going to buy my copy of the book - I won't read them sooner.

    Maybe the second or as the installments move on, it get lot better. Maybe the beginning of the first book is just a set up so that you know the players and what is what? :)


  4. Melody Says:

    Julia - Please don't let my opinion deter you from reading the book, Julia. I think I'm disappointed because I'm expecting it to be more of a fantasy genre than paranormal romance, not that there's anything wrong with it, it's just a personal preference. ;)

    Anyway, I'm not giving up on this series yet and I hope the next two installments will be better!


  5. Julia Says:

    Oh I didn't say I won't read the book. I am planning to buy my copy of the book but won't read it right away. I just add it to my TBR pile. And when am ready to read it, I will :)

    I always tell people to not let my opinion change/sway them from reading the book. I think people should read the book to get their own opinion ;):)


  6. Melody Says:

    Julia - I'm glad to hear you're planning to buy this book. :) I look forward to your thoughts if you get to it.

    Reading is subjective and I love hearing from other readers' perspectives no matter they like the book or not. :)


  7. Alice Says:

    I don't think it is something that I'll read. It's not my type of book. :)


  8. Melody Says:

    Alice - I think so too. ;)


  9. Anonymous Says:

    I appreciate the honest review - I doubt I'll pick this up. I'm still trying to honor my commitment to read a zombie book. I think I prefer to be grounded to the current reality but I'm always intrigued by all this fantasy discussion.


  10. Sandy Nawrot Says:

    Not sure if it is my cup of tea, but honestly, if I could have a fantasy job, it might be this...chasing rogue demons and infernals back to hell? Yeah baby!


  11. Beth F Says:

    I like some urban fantasy, so I may at least take a look at these books. Kicking but in bra and open shirt...


  12. The Bookworm Says:

    It does sound good, even if it didnt have you hooked on it.
    great, honest review!
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  13. Iliana Says:

    Ah what a bummer it wasn't what you were expecting. I don't read a lot of fantasy and much less paranormal romance so I'm sure the whole relationship stuff would have bugged me too. Oh well, maybe the sequels get better!


  14. I'm sorry this turned out to be not what you expected, Melody. I guess we can't be pleased with every book we read,can we? Hopefully your next book was better!


  15. Ana S. Says:

    Genres and subgenres and subsubgenres CAN be confusing! Which is why I often want to just get rid of them :P


  16. Melody Says:

    Care - I haven't tried reading a zombie book! I guess I should...out of curiosity! :P

    Sandy - You crack me up!

    Beth - I hope you'll enjoy this series if you get to it!

    Naida - I'm hoping the next book will be better!

    Iliana - Perhaps it's my reading moods! :P

    Wendy - Yep! We can't like all the books we read, can we?

    Nymeth - I grinned when you mentioned 'subsubgenres'... they sure can be confusing, eh?


  17. Anonymous Says:

    I have read only one book on bounty hunters, but that too was a sequel where every almost all the interesting things were already over in the first book. I too like the concept and I would definietly be giving this book a try.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.