Melody
Release Date: 2007
Starring: Christian Byers, Daniel Radcliffe, Lee Cormie, James Fraser, Teresa Palmer
Directed by: Rod Hardy


Thanks to my busy life juggling between work and children, I rarely have time for movies. I love going to the cinemas; the feeling of watching a movie at home is nothing compared to the cinemas with an excellent sound system, and not to mention the overall atmosphere and the anticipation when stepping into the cinemas. It is a wonderful feeling.

My husband and I were fortunate to be able to watch the latest Harry Potter movie last week, thanks to my in-laws who agreed to look after our children for us. We enjoyed the movie, and it amazed me how Daniel Radcliffe, the wizard boy who played Harry Potter, and his fellow cast members, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson have all grown. I knew Daniel had starred in another movie but I didn't had the chance of catching it on screen then. Last Monday, I happened to walk into a CD store and I found this DVD on the shelves. I grabbed it; and to make things sweeter they have a sale going on so it was like killing two birds with one stone.

Anyway, I enjoyed this movie. December Boys is based on a classic novel by Michael Noonan and it is about four orphan boys growing up in a Catholic convent in outback Australia during the 60s.

Misty (played by Lee Cormie), Spark (Christian Byers), Spit (James Fraser) and Maps (Daniel Radcliffe) called themselves the 'December boys' because they were all born in the month of December. Though they are happy staying in the convent, deep in their heart they are hoping that one day they would get adopted. When they knew they would be going on a holiday by the sea for their birthday, they are thrilled but never do they know this vacation will change their life thereafter.

During their vacation, they stayed with the McAnsh's couple. Both of them are wonderful people, but it is a pity that Mrs McAnsh could not have children due to an accident. The boys enjoy their stay with them, though Maps (being the oldest of the group) keeps a distance with them and mingle around more with a teenaged girl named Lucy. Lucy is staying with her uncle and like the boys, she is there on a vacation but they did not know about this. Maps began to spend more and more time together with Lucy, and for the first time Maps knew what love and desire is with Lucy.

However, their friendship would lead to a test after Misty overheard a conversation whereby the McAnsh couple would adopt one of them and tension and competition arise once the other three boys came to know about the news later, except Maps who seems to be indifferent of the whole idea of adoption. He is more affected when he later realized that Lucy is gone and would not return until the next summer. He also got to know the past history of the McAnsh's couple by chance, and he is not at all surprised that Misty is being chosen towards the end.

As much as Misty has craved for this, actually he is not prepared of leaving his friends. As for whether or not did he stay with the McNash's couple in the end, I will not tell so as I will not spoil it for anyone who has the intention of watching this. All I have to say is December Boys is a marvellous coming of age story; this is a story about friendship and family, and I loved the nostalgic and bittersweet feelings of this story. And it is great seeing Daniel Radcliffe playing a different role besides Harry Potter; he is such a talented actor.

Did you watch this movie? What do you think of it?
13 Responses
  1. I didn't even know Harry had done another movie. I know I am so out-of-touch!

    Gosh the book and the movie both sound so good!

    I will get these soon :) Thank you


  2. Julia Says:

    Very interesting movie review of December Boys, Melody! Enjoy reading your thoughts. I haven't yet watch the movie but is looking forward to when I have the chance.

    Sound like the movie is even interesting and take each boys in long journal of discovery that change their life :)


  3. Anonymous Says:

    That was exactly what surprised me too, how much the guys in Harry Potter had grown.

    I've not even heard of December boys, actually I might have but I just don't remember anything. It sounds good thought, something that I would enjoy watching.


  4. Melody Says:

    Veens - I hope you'll enjoy the book and the movie when you get them. :)

    Julia - I enjoyed watching about their journey. Some of the scenes are so touching!

    Violet - How time flies, huh?

    This is the only movie I knew of that featured Daniel besides the Harry Potter movies. I hope there will be more movies by him in the near future!


  5. Sandy Nawrot Says:

    I loved the latest HP! We have literally watched these actors grow up in front of our eyes. It's amazing. I am an avid reader of EW, so I had heard of this movie. But movies are the same as books for me. Too many of them to watch and not enough time!


  6. Lauren Says:

    I wanted to see this when it came out but never got around to it. Great review!


  7. Ana S. Says:

    I haven't watched it, no, but now I definitely want to! Speaking of movies starring Harry Potter actors, have you ever watched Driving Lessons? It's also a lovely story about friendship and growing up and all that stuff :P


  8. Alice Says:

    I agree that Daniel Radcliffe is a talented actor! :)


  9. The Bookworm Says:

    It does sound like a good film, great review :)

    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  10. Melody Says:

    Sandy - I loved the latest HP too! I need to catch up on reading the books! I'm so way behind!!

    Lauren - Thanks! I hope you'll enjoy this movie when you get to it. :)

    Nymeth - I haven't heard about Driving Lessons. :P I need to check it out! Thanks for the shout out, Nymeth! :D

    Alice - He sure is! :)

    Naida - Thanks! I really enjoyed watching it! :)


  11. Ladytink_534 Says:

    I rarely have time for movies nowadays either but I may have to make an exception with this one.


  12. Melody Says:

    Jen - I hope you'll enjoy this movie when you get to it!


  13. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts/opinions on the symbolic meaning of the big fish and the black horse.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.