Melody
This is a weekly event hosted by Marcia of The Printed Page every Wednesday.

Marcia says:

I love beautiful, and interesting, cover art so every Wednesday I post my 'Cover Attraction' for the week along with a synopsis of the book. Everyone is welcome to stop by and, if they'd like, post a link to their favorite weekly book cover.

* * * * *

I found these two covers of The Seamstress by Frances de Pontes Peebles. Don't you think they are lovely?


Synopsis:

An epic tale of love and courage, loyalty and adventure, set in a brutal and beautiful country at a pivotal moment in its history

Emília and Luzia dos Santos, orphaned when they are children, grow up under the protection of their aunt in the hillside village of Taquaritinga, Brazil. Raised as seamstresses, the sisters learn how to cut, how to mend and how to conceal. Emília treasures pretty, girlish things and longs to escape from the confines of the little town. Captivated by the romances she reads in magazines, she dreams of finding love in the bustle and glamour of the city. Luzia, scarred by a childhood accident that has left her with a deformed arm, knows that for her, real life can not be romantically embroidered, and so she finds solace in her sewing and in the secret prayers to the saints she believes once saved her life.

But when Luzia is abducted by a gang of rebel bandits, the sisters’ lives diverge in ways they never imagined. Whilst Luzia learns to survive in the unforgiving Brazilian outland, discovering love in the most unexpected of places, Emília meets the son of a wealthy doctor who seems to offer her everything she has always desired. But for the innocent dreamer, the excitement of her escape to the city is soon overshadowed by disillusion and loneliness. As she learns how to navigate the treacherous waters of Brazilian high society, the bandits' campaign against the land-owning ‘Colonels’ intensifies, and when a price is placed upon Luzia’s head Emília realises she must risk everything in order to save her sister.

* * * * *

To find out more or participate, go to The Printed Page every Wednesday.

17 Responses
  1. Ceri Says:

    Ooh, gorgeous. <3 Not to mention the story sounds fab! :-D Great combination there.


  2. Sandy Nawrot Says:

    I vote for the top one!


  3. I agree. .. I love the top cover. And, the book sounds great!


  4. Ladytink_534 Says:

    Oh I just adore the first one!!!


  5. Ana S. Says:

    They are lovely, especially the first one. And the book sounds good!


  6. I definitely prefer the first one. This reminds me I need to go work on my quilt--but I don't wanna! :)


  7. Melody Says:

    Hi, everyone! I see a lot of you voted for the top cover. I too think that cover is more eye-catching than the second one, though both covers are lovely IMO. And the story sounds interesting, isn't it? :)


  8. Anonymous Says:

    The treatment of the first cover is very similar to your previous Cover attraction post but the effects are so different. Love it.


  9. Melody Says:

    Violet - Glad you like it too! :)


  10. Wanda Says:

    I like both covers but the addition of thimble and scissors in the first is a nice touch.


  11. Iliana Says:

    Both covers are so nice although I think I prefer the top one as it reminds me of an antique curio cabinet.

    The book sounds really good!


  12. Darlene Says:

    Oh my, I can't even pick a favorite. I love both of them!


  13. Melody Says:

    Wanda, Iliana & Dar - Thank you, ladies! I'm glad you all like the covers. They're lovely, aren't they? :)


  14. wowwwwwwww! It is the BEST cover I have seen!!!


  15. Matt Says:

    This is a beautiful book cover with an intriguing story. I'm in for this one. :)


  16. The Bookworm Says:

    I like the covers, especially that first one.
    The book does sound good.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  17. Melody Says:

    Veens - Glad you like it! :P

    Matt - I'm intrigued with the story too! Will have to check this out! ;)

    Naida - Glad we share the same sentiments. :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.